Wednesday, 2 March 2016

Ready for a holiday

I think it is fair to say that February has been more than a little 'full on'.  Not only was there Danny's party and a major Spring-clean, the self-inflicted mammoth task of making six quilted panels for the caravan, the builder making a mess in the bedroom and Kate creating absolutely loveliness in the kitchen but I also had LP here on a couple of occasions plus three days of council contractors replacing the footpath (which might not sound like it affected us much, but the tea & coffee making and chatting took up a lot of time).  Clearly there is a lot of 'blog lag' to catch up on :-} 

I was definitely in need of a little holiday and more than ready for a trip in the caravan.  In truth, I've been ready for a trip in the 'van since we got back from Kielder last October but the weather has had other ideas.  Not a lot of joy to be had from taking a short break in pouring rain and no way I have the confidence to tow in driving wind.

So it was with huge excitement when the weather improved last week, just in time for the Spring Starcamp at Kielder.  At the weekend we finally hitched up the caravan and see if all those bribes mugs of tea (which resulted in the pavement being built up as much as the contractors possibly could) had made it possible to drive away without bottoming the back of the van.  It was tense and there was holding of breath - and I just made it!  TA DA.  No photos because I was concentrating behind the steering wheel, and M. was watching out for potential problems.  Once on the road I even managed to reverse the van back into our drive.  Happy day indeed.

Monday was spent packing like crazy and getting the van ready for an early start this morning.

Tuesday was spent unpacking . . .



See all those red squares?  That's when it will be cloudy = no  astronomy.  This wonderful App from Clear Outside goes into huge detail and is invaluable when planning an observing session.




So the weather forecast was Strike One.  Strike Two is the fact that Management has the most dreadful cold - real Man Flu and was sent home from work yesterday.  Strike Three is that it we're not so enamored of Kielder as a location that we are keen to be there for five days in bad weather.  So I made the decision to cancel and stay at home.

Sad.  Disappointed.  Deflated.  I was SO ready for a complete break away from home, routine, chores, normal.  But a bad vacation is worse than no vacation at all, and as the house is straight, the shopping is done and the laundry is completed I'm going to have a Holiday At Home.  Not sure yet what I shall do with myself but it is likely to be selfish, and indulgent, and relaxing . . . and there might even be some computer time and bloggy catching up.


PS:  Learnt just now that it was minus 12 at Kielder a couple of days ago.  Oh joy, so another worry would have been of the caravan water pipes freezing - we definitely made the right call.







14 comments:

  1. It is sleeting here this morning. Definitely the right call.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had sleet here too, and on the rare occasions the clouds part I can see LOADS of snow on the fells. Given that Kielder is only just this side of the Scottish Border I suspect there is even more up there!

      Delete
  2. It seems so disappointing not to get away, but if the weather is as bad as you say, home is the best place to be. Just think Spring could have ideal days for you and M should be over his cold and raring to go too. We've not been away in ours for over a year, but it's been way too hot this summer and the next week is going to be in the 30's again. We hope to get away at the beginning of April to Bordertown and maybe come back via the coast. I need the sea to feel refreshed. Have a relaxed spell and take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such extremes - although after the winter we've had I could really get into a long, hot spell. Lazy days of summer and all that :-}.

      Delete
  3. Disappointing, but -12 is co-o-o-o-ld.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a shame Jayne when you have looked forward to it all winter but better days are coming! It's been snowing like mad here this morning but really wet stuff so it hasn't stuck. Missing being away in our caravan too but a downside of being in it when it's cold is that the heating constantly clicks on and off and keeps me awake ,,, the minimum setting is 5 degrees which keeps it from freezing up but stops me sleeping. Minus 12 ,,,, Brrrr! Enjoy your cosy holiday at home and hope Max gets better soon. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jill, I bet you're desperate to get away too.

      Delete
  5. -12! Definitely time to snuggle down at home with something warm. I agree it's been a very long winter of grey, wet and cold with some real challenges - we ran away to Buxton last weekend and enjoyed some rare sunshine and hills but I'm longing for spring and some warm weather. I'm sure your caravan will be very busy soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curvy. Yes, last weekend was a lovely change, so good to see the sun for a few hours.

      Delete
  6. Keilder seems to have weather of it's own. we were last there in August, and good grief it was cold....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some places which always seem to catch the weather and I think Kielder is probably one of them. Having looked at the forecasts each day since cancelling I'm a bit relieved we stayed at home. If M. had not been poorly I am sure we would have had a good time and been glad to be away, but there would have been very little astronomy :-{

      Delete
  7. What a shame, but I can fully understand not going. Best stay at home all snug and warm and dry and plan your next break xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was clearly "not meant to be". Staying at home has meant much sitting in front of the wood-burner, and that's always A Good Thing.

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}