Thursday, 3 March 2016

Didn't expect . . .

I suppose I should have thought this through, but when M. went down with the worst cold I've seen him get in years, I did not expect that I would be the next victim quite so quickly.  But if further proof were needed that cancelling our holiday was the correct decision, this morning I started sneezing, coughing, my throat is scratchy and I generally feel 'bllluuurrrghhhh".  So much for my holiday and the plan to either go for a long walk without Daisy or spend the day in the garden.

But I did spend a few minutes outside and in between chucking a ball around for Madam I had a look in the Big Pond.  The water is very clear and I thought I'd have a little session with the dipping net to pull out more of the invasive oxygenator.

What I did not expect to bring out was this:





A few moments with my trusty Collins Pocket Guide to Freshwater Life confirmed what I already knew:



A few moments more with the net and I had another half dozen of the little sods.  So this Spring will be spent in the style of Mad-Eye Moody - constant vigilance.  I'm never going to get all of the little b*stards but I will have a damn good try.


(c) Warners Bros and J.K. Rowling









10 comments:

  1. Ah, so sorry to hear you're not feeling well. Fell better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dani, it really is 'just' a bad cold and I'm sure I'kll be back to normal soon.

      Delete
  2. Hope that you and M are better soon. I know the larvae are voracious predators but when they grow up they are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Sue, I guess if you're a paleontolgist then T. Rex could be considered beautiful . . . and these little blighters are the T. Rex of the pond. I would much rather have our newts, dragonfly, damselflies, tadpoles andall the other wonderful creatures that have made our ponds their home.

      Delete
  3. Hope your cold is short lived and you soon feel better. The larvae are interesting, even though a pest. I'm not sure I've ever seen anything like that. Our pond only seems to sport tadpoles, that must all be frogs now.(giggle) Take care and huggles from Oz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Susan. We certainly had far fewer tadpoles make it to maturity last year than in any previous year and it will be because of these horrible beetles.

      Delete
  4. hope you feel better soon. I know nothing about ponds...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you:-}. Ponds are fascinating, addictive (we have three!) and I cannot imagine a garden without one.

      Delete
  5. Hope you both feel better soon. At least spring seems to be creeping slowly in despite winters reluctance to let go. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Curvy. Hard to believe it will be Easter in a couple of weeks - this year seems to be racing by.

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}