Wednesday, 2 March 2016

A decent day

I know that cancelling our trip was the right thing to do but it doesn’t make me feel any better about it.  I was so looking forward to the complete peace and quiet that only seems to exist in the caravan (or up a mountain, but the weather hasn't been helping facilitate that either!)   Chatting at breakfast this morning about having a "holiday at home" I got into the thing about “I never, ever get a holiday because everything I do has to be done regardless of where we are; cooking, dog walking, tidying up” and M. extremely generously replied “well if you want to go off sometime for a week or two I will stay here and look after Daisy”.  What a lovely man, and you know something, I am going to take him up on it . . . of course, it has to be scheduled around his holiday from work and there are no guarantees of decent weather . . . and what's the betting that after four days on my own I am missing the pair of 'em like crazy and I come home early?  Oh well, enough day-dreaming.



Typically the weather is decent here today and Madam and I had a lovely walk down by the river. According to Viewranger is was 2.25 miles but that seems to be enough for Daisy at present.  Either she really has aged more than we'd like over the winter or has become thoroughly unfit.





Although the river level has dropped significantly the fields are still a dreadful mess and remedial work cannot begin until grant money has been confirmed.  I was talking to someone last week who is desperate to get a couple of fields cleared, fertilised and reseeded but if she starts work before the paperwork has been cleared then there will not be any reimbursement.  Almost three months to the day since Storm Desmond and nothing has happened.











The same landowner knows this scoured hole is over six feet deep because someone fell in it . . .



At least you can get past now, when I first came across it on 2nd February there was no getting round.



This afternoon I took myself out on the basis that if I stayed at home I would find something to do.  I might have found some wardrobes, we'll see if I still like them when I go back with M. at the weekend.  I am also in much in need of some clothes which fit (I've accidentally lost rather a lot of weight recently).  I should have been delighted to find a couple of pairs of jeans, sadly I loath this sort of shopping so it was a chore rather than a pleasure.  On the way home I gave myself a sharp slap upside the head,  I am very lucky to be able to "just" go out and get what I need.   This might not have been how I planned to spend Wednesday, but it really wasn't a bad day :-}









8 comments:

  1. It certainly looked like a lovely day from the pics, but oh, so much work still needs to be done after the storm damage. Doesn't sound any different than with the beaurocrats here after either fires, flooding or cylones. Have you any ideas of where you'd like to go for some "me" time. I'm the same when we go off in the caravan, as I've still got to clean, wash, cook etc, but it's still nice to be just somewhere different. Must drop you an email. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan. It doesn't help that we are in one of the least densely populated parts of the country and about as far away from Westminster and politicos as you can get :-{.

      No idea where I will go in the van, but have a few possible destinations lined up.

      Delete
  2. It's heartbreaking how much restoration still needs to be carried out and how, now all the media have gone, how everyone is being left to struggle on, especially the farmers, with funding forms and long lead in times to get any money with no understanding of planting schedules.
    A bit of Me time sounds absolutely wonderful and just the ticket, what a thoughtful man M is - do you have anywhere planned yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Curvy, sadly you know only too well what a nightmare it is to recover from flooding.

      Lots of locations within a couple of hours of here on the 'want to visit' list.

      Delete
  3. I bet that you will miss Daisy and maybe even M when you go off without them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect you are right, but it's one of those daft things I want to try to find out what it is like :-}.

      Delete
  4. I hate clothes shopping *shudders at thought* urgh. Your photos of your walk do still show such evidence of the full force of the floods - you'd asked me if I'd write something re:flooding, I'd not responded due to lack of computerage type access - soz. I am sure that after the initial novelty of 'solo camping' you might actually miss one or the other (even both!) but the only way to find out it is to try! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it's not just me who hates the consumerist shopping thing. Don't worry about the flooding thing, busted laptops happen and can't be helped.

      Solo camping? One of those things I'm going to have to try just to get it out of my system :-}

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}