Monday, 7 March 2016

A day in the garden



I've had an almost perfect day today.  One of those days that you never want to end - perfect weather and a few hours of gentle puttering around outside.  No long list (OK there is a list but I ignored it), no agenda, just being outside.  With views like this to distract me on a regular basis, there are not many other places I would have preferred to be. 





The day started superbly when a casual pass of the net into the Big Pond produced TWO adult Great Diving Beetle.  Needless to say they did not make it back into the water.  Sadly I am certain there are more adults in the pond, but at least this is two less to eat their way through all this lovely frogspawn.





Not as much gardening as I "might" have achieved thanks to a Small Person wanting me to stop to play ball at least once an hour, and quite right too:-}   Clearly I was not the only one very pleased to be spending a day in the sunshine.







I'm not at all good with video, sorry.

video


The original idea was to make a start on reclaiming the Cottage Garden.  This lovely corner of Bag End was the first to be properly gardened but a combination of time, health, weather and whatever meant that last year it received virtually no attention and as a result the beds have responded - quite understandably - by going completely feral.  The Fedge Bed is a tangled over-crowded mess, the Lasagne Bed has been taken over by a pretty pink geranium, probably Geranium sylvaticum, and a Physocarpus opulifolius "Lady in Red" which is quite out of control.  Shocked to look at five year old photos and see how much it has all grown.



In the long border between us and our neighbour the intention is to move all of the shrubs at the back of the bed and replace them with laurel eventually creating a nice Peeping-Tom-Proof evergreen screen which might also shield us from his outside light when we're trying to astronomise (is that a real word?)  



That's a whole summer's work and I didn't get very far.

This is what it looked like in 2011

And this is what I started with this morning:



I dug over and weeded about a metre of Fedge Bed before I got to a much loved Thalictrum aquilegifolium 'Thundercloud' which was being swamped by a couple of adjacent shrubs.



I dug it out and potted up sections in the greenhouse (until I know where it is going to end up), and once I was in the greenhouse it was just too warm and lovely to come out!  After planting a bag of 100 summer bulbs (a Wilko cheapie) I had a bit of a clear up.  Oh, it was so very gorgeous in my little glass house.  It looks like the tray of box cuttings I struck last year agree with me - only three have not taken so far which is staggering for a first attempt :-}





After a short walk down by the river for Herself there was a long soak in the bath for me.







17 comments:

  1. I think we may have had frogs jumping in the pond as there were tell tale circles in the weed but I couldn't see any frogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall keep my fingers crossed for you Sue :-}

      Delete
  2. You look to have had a glorious sunshine-y day and made the most of it, we were overcast and cold here, quite miserable! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Hawthorn, they were certainly hours to appreciate and treasure :-} xx

      Delete
  3. Ah, Jayne is back, as that all sounds more you. It's been a tough winter and although working in the greenhouse seems great, I'm thinking one here would be like working in the tropics with our heat at the moment(giggle). The views would distract me too, but it'd be worth it. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan, yes I was back but with (slightly) more common-sense than previously and did not end the day completely exhausted and unable to move!

      Delete
  4. I'm waiting for our marsh (lawn) to drain before I start on the borders - I imagine by August we may be able to walk rather than wade. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you still have a lawn? Congratulations! I have a couple of sections that have almost died off from being so saturated (note to self: must take photos)

      Delete
  5. Could do with some of that blue sky. It's been miserable here, Devon mizzle all day, and our first bit of hard graft in the garden this year. I got soaked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much of yesterday was spent in Wm. Henry Davies mode taking time to appreciate that view:

      What is this life if, full of care,
      We have no time to stand and stare.
      No time to stand beneath the boughs
      And stare as long as sheep or cows.

      Delete
  6. sounds like a wonderfully productive day x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was rather wonderful but I have to admit that I was not very produtive, but so what . . . (an attitude which, I realise, might come as a shock to those who know me well!!)

      Delete
    2. well I spent the day reading a book so infinitely more productive than me.........

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a perfect day Jayne ,,, I need to get into our greenhouse and sort it out too! I'm always disheartened at this time of year when so much needs doing but I'm sure some of it will get done (in elephant eating fashion) when the weather bucks up a bit!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we both have the same issue Jill, in that with large gardens you often cannot finish a job in one day and our weather makes it ruddy difficult, often impossible, to do the logical thing and finish up tomorrow.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. {{chuckle}}, and wonderful to chat with you yesterday, thanks.

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}