Wednesday, 30 March 2016

A bootful of bounty :-}

The box edging I put in last year seems to be doing well and I'm surprised to find how much I like the simple formality of it.  I want to do more but these days box is becoming a tad too risky, first box blight and now a rampant caterpillar with a voracious appetite.  Jessica at Rusty Duck has had the brilliant idea of using Lonicera nitida instead, and imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

After lunch today I had a quick sprint around the supermarket followed by a short drive to my favourite nursery.  It was lovely to see Jim and Robert again, and for my first visit of the year to be warm and sunny with bees buzzing everywhere.  They have done loads of work over the winter and the site is looking very smart.





I couldn't see any Lonicera so I asked . . . and then I wandered away to look at something . . . and when I came back two large trays had appeared :-}  And it would have been rude to ignore the tempting display of Snakeshead Fritillary, nor could I leave behind seven pots of small hellebores - unnamed, no idea of the colour.  Last time I bought anonymous hellebore from this nursery they turned into 'Cinderella', a quite beautiful double, and although the plants have not done terribly well this Spring in previous years the display has been stunning. I also have a sneaky love for primulas which seems to be growing and developing quietly, and one of numerous projects for this Spring is to dig up those which have found themselves dotted around the garden and consolidate the 'collection' in just one or two locations (oh, doesn't that sound grand, pfnar, pfnar, pfnar!!)   The collection was enhanced today by some delicate, lilac Primula cortusoides.  Trouble is, I only purchased two little trays, just 8 tiny plants . . . I already know I'm going to have to go back for more!

I'm nearly embarrassed that the entire haul cost less than a pub lunch for two, guess I'm still getting trade rates!



And whilst I was out, Maryport Fireplace Centre came and fitted something we have been planning for YEARS, just never managed to get organised enough to arrange.  Solid oak, beautifully finished - love it, love it, love it :-}




12 comments:

  1. What a beautiful nursery and your plant costs are so little compared to ours, though I've found a Rose Nursery which are about half the price of the bigger ones. I got my hellebore catalogue during the week and sat and drooled. I'm trying to work out what has changed with your wood burner???? Didn't you already have one. Hope your weather keeps warming and take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan, glad to find another hellebore fan :-}

      The 'new addition' is the mantle/shelf above the woodburner.

      Delete
  2. Oh gosh... I hope the lonicera work for you now! I'm sure they will though, they're as tough as old boots and I reckon I can see ours growing already. It must be all the rain. It will be interesting to see how they compare head to head with your box.
    Many thanks for the mention :)
    P.S. I hope you don't have pheasants.. they LOVE fritillaries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already have a couple of lonicera dotted around and they seem to do well, so it's worth a go. Glad yours have taken after their. move.

      Thanks for the "Ptolemy warning". We used to have loads of pheasants but a couple of years ago they disappeared, either the damp weather got to them or some charming local shot them . . .

      Delete
  3. I'm guessing there will be lots of lonicera cuttings as a by-product of pruning,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly hope so Sue, although I shall also try layering some of the longer shoots as soon as the plants are in the ground.

      Delete
  4. oooh gorgeous plants and that oak mantel is glorious x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tess, it was a particularly good afternoon!

      Delete
  5. I use the lonicera and it makes the quickest cuttings - every time I clip the mini hedge I push in the longer clippings into the bald spaces and it soon roots and fills out the hedge - I love it! Your haul of plants - I am impressed/jealous/inspired! Our garden needs a bit of work but as it is a bit of a shady one, things take longer to get going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the confirmation that I can root cuttings quickly. I am a lucky duck - it was a great haul of plants :-}

      Delete
  6. Lovely haul of plants. Where is this nursery? I looked to see if you mentioned the name. I couldn't see it anywhere. We love proper nurseries rather than these enormous garden centre's who sell almost everything including very expensive plants.

    I love the oak mantle. We had a new multifuel stove in our lounge last year (we used to have an open fire and fire surround) and this year having the room decorated then I can have a mantle just like that. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Catherine, good to hear from you. The nursery is about 15 minutes from home and not generally open to the public. It is closed at weekends, only takes cash (or business accounts), and nothing has a price tag on it - let's just say shopping here is an 'experience'.

      The mantle has made a surprising difference to how complete the room feels, hope you enjoy yours.

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}