Wednesday, 24 February 2016

A partial reveal, and a party

(Sunday 21st February)
Despite my best intentions, whenever the kitchen was tidy enough to take photographs I was too tired/ too busy/ the light was rubbish.  I left it until 15 minutes before Danny's party to realise this was probably my last opportunity to record how lovely the kitchen has looked since Kate painted the units in September.

So here are a couple of absolute rubbish photos, but it's only a partial reveal :-}  Hard to believe these are the same kitchen units that we acquired ownership of eight years ago today!







And promptly at 3.00pm lots of neighbours arrived, all bearing food.  Our intention was not that M. and I were throwing a farewell party for Danny, but that all his friends were getting together for Afternoon Tea which happened to be held at our house.  In the style of an American supper we had no idea what would turn up but, as expected, there was a good selection of sweet and savoury which I didn't manage to photograph.  In fact, I took very few pictures at all which is rather a bummer.



Apart from cleaning the place up (and goodness knows it needed it!) and moving furniture, I made two cushions for some lovely 3-and-a-bit year old twins.  Although they know me and Daisy they are not used to our house and I wanted to do whatever possible to extend their "shelf life" (as their Dad calls it!)  Together with a bunch of balloons the plan worked superbly, they were some of the last to leave and the little boy fell asleep that night cuddling his 'cushy'.





The star of the show (apart from Danny) was Miss Daisy who took all the disruption in her stride, and was quiet and gentle and didn't steal food.  She did, however, take umbrage at my moving her bed - I think when she took up station in front of the woodburner despite there being no squishy memory foam to lay on She Was Making A Point.



Needless to say, she got loads of cuddles when everyone had gone home :-}



16 comments:

  1. What a wonderful farewell for your lovely neighbour. You are so thoughtful and caring. I'll bet Daisy breathed a sigh of relief when it was all over. Are the walls now white, as I've been trying to see the colour in your photos? Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danny lived here over 40 years - we couldn't let him go without a chance to see all his friends.

      The walls were white (bad light in the photos). They are not any more!

      Delete
  2. Those before and after photos are so worth having. Your kitchen has been transformed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jessica, you also know the value of before and after pictures. Sometimes most necessary to remind ourselves why we are doing this.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Cheers Jill, we were tired at the end but very glad we did it.

      Delete
  4. It looks as though you had a wonderful time: what a kind thing to do for a neighbour. It's good to have an excuse for a get-together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to take so long to thank you for commenting - not been on the PC much in the last week.

      It was a lovely excuse for a get-together and we're seriously considering doing it more often, just for the heck of it.

      Delete
  5. I'm not always a fan of painted cabinets but I must say that yours show a vast improvement over what you inherited with the house. They are now just lovely. I'm so happy that you threw a party for your friend. It will mean the world to him. Also glad to hear that you're longarming again. Wanna do a dozen or so for me?? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to think painted kitchen cabinets would look shabby very quickly but with six or seven coats of paint these are wearing superbly - and that's with Daisy barging around the place.

      I'd love to do some quilt tops for you - please move continents and then we can arrange details :-}

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks like a lovely transformation of your kitchen x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And at an absolute fraction of the cost of a 'new' kitchen. We're very pleased with it.

      Delete
  8. Love the transformation. I am trying to pluck up courage to do the same to ours. Almost identical cupboards to yours. What colour and make of paint did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Catherine. I ummed-and-erred for years before doing this (and also had to wait until all the other building work was done). Now it is completed I have absolutely no regrets, other than waiting for so long . . .

      Kate uses Farrow & Ball and now I've seen the paint I will never use anything else if I can get the right colours, it's superb. The units are New White, those handles are Lichen, and when I get caught up on the blog you will see we've put Lichen on the walls too, which has really brought the whole room together.

      Delete
  9. Daisy knew what she was doing - she isn't daft! She had the best seat in the house :) It does look like a wonderful party - well done :)

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}