Saturday, 16 January 2016

It was all going so terribly well

We woke on Thursday morning not to the usual rain and cloud, but with a view of snow, snow and more snow.  The fells were at their most beautiful and as Daisy needed a longer walk today there was no question about what to do - jump in the car and head to Keswick for a quick bimble up Latrigg.

The reason Daisy needed a good outing is because, in the spirit of Carpe Diem, it was all arranged for me to go away and have a short holiday, a little 'me' time consisting of three nights in London, much bimbling around the British Museum, the Wallace Collection, revisiting old haunts around Covent Garden and meeting up with a couple of my oldest and dearest friends, neither of whom I have seen for years and years.   Whilst I was AWOL Management wouldn't be taking long fell walks so I used the glorious weather to take an opportunity for both Daisy and I to get a good walk.

And what a good walk it was, the pictures are self-explanatory.

After the December storms I expected more damage, most of the paths were in surprisingly good condition



A great deal of stopping just to enjoy the wonderful views









It may be time for a new anemometer.  This unit is nearly 15 years old and whilst it was damn cold at the summit, I do not believe it was minus 51 as the device claimed.



It was, however, still cold enough that Daisy needed additional ear protection.  An off-label use for a Buff but something more effective is on the way . . .





And as I said when we started, it was all going so terribly well.  Before I left home Management had said "have a good one, don't slip over" and I used the micro-spikes in the snow and had no problems at all.  Coming back through the woods I'd removed the spikes and was keeping a close eye on where I placed my feet - it was wet and muddy.  I have absolutely no idea what happened next, but I found myself laying in a puddle of dirt and water with mud all over my hat and face, and over much of the rest of me as well.



The afternoon was spent feeling complete rubbish; despite a soak in the bath every joint on my left-hand side hurt like hell but more worrying was the headache, nausea, dizziness and blurry eyes.   Eventually we reached the unavoidable conclusion that I hit my head in the fall and had mild concussion.

It was all going so terribly well until London had to be cancelled.
The weekend was very quiet . . . .








20 comments:

  1. Stunning walk - but so sorry to hear of the fall. Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dani, everything feels back to normal now :-}

      Delete
  2. If you don't remember falling you might have blacked out briefly, if it happens again you should get it checked out. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica, I realise I might have blacked out :-{ When discussing it with Management I said at any time previously I've fallen over in the fells (and it happens often enough!) I remember exactly what happened and was 'present in the fall'. This one was different. The last thing I wanted to do was cancel my weekend away, particularly because I was meeting up with my two oldest friends, but you don't ignore cranial impacts.

      Last year a relative of M's was found unconscious at the bottom of some concrete steps with a badly fractured skull. Induced coma, much surgery and a titanium plate later he appeared to have made a full recovery. At Christmas we learnt he appears to have had a stroke and can now barely speak . . . like I said, we don't take head injuries lightly. Many thanks for your good wishes :-}

      Delete
  3. Phew, so glad you're ok. It's bad enough when you fall over and are 'present' when you do so, but so much more serious and frightening if you knock yourself out or black out - especially when you wake up in water and mud in cold temperatures. Lucky you,no damage done and you got home safely. I hope you get your weekend away soon. :-)

    Daisy looks very cute in her snood. New doggy fashion icon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curvy. It probably sounds much worse than it really was, the Latrigg path is always busy and if I had been out cold for more than a couple of seconds someone would have come by.

      Delete
  4. Oh no! I had been really enjoying 'your' walk and wishing I'd been there too, when bang you bump your head and have to cancel your jolly! Take care of yourself xx (I will be emailing you a reply to your lovely email - speak soon xx)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Hawthorn; it was a great walk, just the last half a mile went a bit pear-shaped! Thanks for email, will reply later.

      Delete
  5. What a disappointment for you that your London trip was cancelled. Thank goodness you were OK after your fall though.

    Stunning photos of the snow covered mountains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dartford, great to hear from you again. Very, very disappointing not to get away but these things happen :- {

      Delete
  6. Oh poor you, so sorry about your mishap. On the positive side it could have been a lot worse.
    I love Daisy is snood Tivvy is quite jealous as she could have done with one for her bottom after she had had it shaved for her recent surgery. It's been a little bit chilly for her around the nether regions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Sue, hope Tivvy is making a good recovery.

      Delete
  7. I'm way behind on the computer at the moment and just saw this post way down my list. Are you OK? The walk looked lovely, but the results weren't so good, and how on earth did you drive home, feeling like that? Hope you are feeling a lot better now and I'll email later today. Take care and huggles too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, the headache and wooziness didn't really start until later so driving home was fine.

      Delete
  8. As our friend would say "oh bummocks".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly!! {pfnar, pfnar as our friend might say}

      Delete
  9. Oh, dear girl!! I'm so sorry you took a tumble and had to cancel your getaway. Hope you're doing better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks FFG, but I am really fine. I've had a very quiet few days, took it easy and actually listened to my body when it told me to sit down and relax :- }

      Delete
  10. Beautiful snowy photos Jayne ,,, less so the muddy ones! Scary how easy to slip and fall, pleased no lasting damage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill, yes it was a bit of a shock and took me longer to get completely back to normal than expected.

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}