Wednesday, 27 January 2016

Happy day :-} Patchwork progress

During the fairly quiet week of recovering from concussion I managed quite a few sessions in the sewing room.  Putting large 9-patch blocks together requires minimal skill and marginal concentration so much progress was made on what has turned into a huge project, and this afternoon the final window panel was completed.

There has been much messing around trying to keep identical fabrics away from each other.  As you can see, Daisy was absolutely no assistance whatsoever.





All that lovely rainbowy-ness (is that a word, well guess it is now), much needed colour at this time of year.





A combination of clothes pegs and masking tape is temporarily holding the panels up so I can enjoy the effect.







I really didn't feel like climbing in the shower so for now this is the best available view of the bathroom panel :-}



And in other news (unbelievably) on Monday, when I wasn't gainfully employed doing laundry, housework and Daisy-wrangling, I used the longarm machine.  Ta Da.  Fanfare.  Drumroll.  Dancing around in the style of Jeremy Vine on Strictly . . .



I took Sue's suggestion to use one of the 'rejected' quilt tops and after an hour or so of messing around with tension and breaking thread quilted 75% of it very successfully. Which was when I realised that for the first time in the 16 years I have been longarm quilting I shorted myself on the backing.  D'uh!  The top really wasn't worth the effort of unpinning, adding more backing and repinning, so I played freehand for the rest of the available material.

And realised something, the idea of which has been developing for years but never acted upon - I don't like freehand feathers.  Shock.  Horror.  Sacrilege.  "But everyone does feathers on quilts" .... which is probably why, despite hugely admiring some of the skilled artistic work that is displayed on Pinterest and elsewhere, I am fed up to the back teeth of freehand feathers on quilts.

So I spent a thoroughly enjoyable hour trying to remember all the floral and leaf designs I used to stitch.



I want/need a bit more practice before I load the caravan panels, but Happy Day, progress indeed!!





10 comments:

  1. Freehand quilting scares me to death. I'm ashamed to say, I'm still - OCD - straight line, walking foot quilting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wanda, if it is any comfort I am completely unable to do freehand quilting on a domestic machine. Without the wonderful benefit of my longarm I would probably have given up quilting years ago.

      Delete
  2. Amazing stuff - Although I can appreciate and admire quilting - it is something that scares me! So I am a very happy by-stander :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hawthorn, I know you have a 'less than relaxed' relationship with your sewing machine but truthfully, nothing could be easier than these 9-patch blocks. Perhaps I'll get the chance to show you one day?

      Delete
  3. Well done and although I love feathers, my freehand were flat at the top, so having the computer is much better (aren't I spoiled). I've a DVD I should tell you about doing lots of different freehand. I'll email and tell what it is. Love the rainbow effect, but our van windows are a lot smaller than the European ones, so our curtains will do. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, it's not that I cannot stitch freehand feathers, I can and they're really not bad. If I showed you photos of my 'playing' on Monday you'd be impressed (ha ha), but I am just heartily sick of seeing them everywhere, and usually at far too great a density.

      BTW, if your van windows are smaller then you have no excuse not to make panels of your own - just think how much less work it will be than the job I have undertaken!

      Delete
  4. Woohoo - well done you on renewing your acquaintanceship (can't yet call it friendship) with the LA. I'm with you about being fed up with seeing feathers too. I used to love them but think there are just too many of them around now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue, I am glad it's not just me with the feathers thing :-} I am not saying I will never quilt feathers, I have plans to use some lovely stencil designs on a couple of tops which need custom quilting, but it seems these days that nearly everywhere you turn there are freehand feathers, and as you say, far too many of them.

      Delete
  5. Oh, that sounds like such fun!!! I drool over a long arm but doubt it'll ever happen for me. Now to get myself off my duff and actually use my sewing machine!! Somehow, it's become hard to do that of late.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FFG, don't worry about not using your machine - I've hardly sewed in the last couple of years and yet this month I've been glued to my machine :-} You can't force it, when the time is right you'll be sewing again.

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}