Thursday, 17 December 2015

What a mess

We all need exercise, and our Little Miss Perfect needs a good walk every day or else she has more energy than is good for her and wants to play ALL evening . . .  so with a short break in the rain we set off to have a look at what had been, until a couple of weeks ago, one of our regular local excursions.  The Highways people have had damn sure I can’t get over the bridge which rules out two of our usual walks, and going along the lane near the house is thoroughly unpleasant and somewhat unsafe now that it is the ‘rat run’.  That left a route of doubtful possibility, one we have done a hundred times.  As these pictures show, we won’t be doing it again anytime soon, or at least until much of the mud has dried up.  Further upriver another footpath has been marked as temporarily closed, that's not unreasonable - the land is no longer there, it has been washed away.

 

There is so much debris against this part of the fence it was simple to step over it, usually it’s over 3 feet high and topped with barbed wire.





On the high water line a stark reminder that these floods wreck lines.





The footbridge has been lifted off its concrete pillar, but there is a little field bridge a few yards further up which has survived.





A wet, slippery, muddy trudge across the field takes me back to where the footpath used to be - on the river side of the wire fence.









I don’t know what this is, but it’s the size of a shipping container.  I'm guessing it has washed downstream from a field between here and Cockermouth.






We both had to be hosed down when I got home, something Daisy absolutely hates. 




This is no longer ‘news’, it’s not exciting enough for Sky or the BBC.  Even the local news programmes have given up.  I did this walk on Thursday but didn’t publish until Monday 21st; since then it has rained nearly every day and shows no signs of stopping.  The first field is under water again.



4 comments:

  1. Good grief - the damage! Amazing (in a negative way). All round us the fields are still under water but I don't think the damage is as great as yours - not that we can see it yet, need the water to recede still.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hawthorn. I suspect the damage in our immediate area is much less than will be found in places like Glenridding and Ullswater. Over the holidays I plan to have a drive around, it won't be pleasant but I need to see it for myself.

      Unfortunately, if your weather forecast is anything like ours the water levels will not be dropping any time soon :-{

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. {{shaking head sadly and agreeing}}

      And I don't even think we have seen the worst of it round here.

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}