Monday, 7 December 2015

The comfort of cloth

Thank goodness I have started sewing again because there is a huge comfort to be had from working with fabric and I need that this week.

Whilst the floods have not directly damaged our home, they have still torn at our lives.  The shops we use every week, the roads we use to visit places we love - either damaged or destroyed.  That has got to have an effect, and I confess to feeling dreadful the last couple of days, and then feeling terribly guilty for feeling so sad, after all, what have I got to be miserable about?  But saying I have nothing to feel sad about does not alter the fact that watching lunchtime TV and seeing the yawning gap where Pooley Bridge should be reduced me to tears.  The very first time Management and I came to the Lake District together we stayed just outside the village and had a marvellous time, not realising then that we were laying the foundations for the life we have now.

But you often cannot help the way you feel, and today has been very quiet and not much was achieved.  I know I "ought" to be thinking about Christmas meals and getting the decorations out but I just don't have any enthusiasm for it.  I wasn't feeling particularly festive before the flood, I feel even less so now.

The red blocks are finished, and the orange, yellow and green fabric sets were selected whilst the light was good.  I pieced the red blocks "the old fashioned way" cutting each patch individually to get as much of a mix of fabric placement as possible, but it takes so much longer than strip piecing and I don't find it as accurate.  I will go back to using strips for the remainder of the sets.



Daisy is not obviously lame, but neither does she seem completely sound in her shoulder so we have only had a couple of brief walks today.  Her Ladyship has spent the rest of her time either under my sewing table, or supervising the wood burner.







9 comments:

  1. Crafting can be so therapeutic (is that correct?), and keeps your mind occupied for a time. Daisy looks very content in front of the wood burner. Bless her. Take care all of you and I feel for all those who have lost homes and businesses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just unbearably awful. It seems to happen in different parts of the country every year and must be devastating for anyone affected. I'm glad you're safe and will be thinking of you and your neighbours in the coming weeks and months. Wishing Daisy a speedy recovery. She looks very comfy by the fire! XX Debbie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie, lovely to hear from you, wish it wasn't in such sad circumstances. Thank you for thinking of us.

      Delete
  3. Glad you have your cloth comfort at this time. And Daisy obviously enjoys the results. Nice photo of the heat fan in action on the woodstove. Take care, dear. Our thoughts are with the flood victims.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kris, I hadn't noticed the woodburner fan whizzing around, guess I am so used to it :-}

      Delete
  4. Doing something constructive does help to feel more positive - sending you love and hugsx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Hawthorn, and that is exactly what I've been doing :-}

      Delete
  5. {{Test comment to check new email forwarding}}

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}