Thursday, 24 December 2015

Of Yule logs and chocolate frogs

On Solstice Eve, Hawthorn kindly commented:  when you light your Yule log tonight, think on the thousands of people who have done it before you, each calling the sun to return



And yes, it does work because the last two days we have had walks without rain and (almost unbelievably) brief moments of sunshine although no amount of brightness can make the flooding look any better.



On the way home yesterday I stopped and took this, it is the view back towards the house from half a dozen fields away.  In 2009 it was estimated that 250 tons of stones were deposited on a field that normally grew winter wheat.  Looks even worse this time :-{



Yesterday Daisy and I returned to Whinlatter, same starting place, slightly different walk.  We kept on the main forestry track from Darling How until the broken gate and then walked back.  Just 2½ miles but that was enough.







This morning Management came with us to the beach and whilst we were all wrapped up against the cold I think I was the only one not bothered by 36mph gusts of wind.  We passed on our Christmas Eve fish & chips having not long previously had a rather large cooked breakfast.









The last two days I have made an effort to be on holiday :-)  Whilst M. is making a point of going down to his workshop everyday and making progress on whichever motorbike he is rebuilding at present I've got into the sewing room and the yellow blocks are coming on well.



Together with quite a lot of sitting on the sofa with Daisy whilst reading and watching the fire "it's starting to look a [little] bit like Christmas".

The chocolate frogs?  I've dug out the MP3 of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone and have it playing in the background in the sewing room.  It is quite lovely, reminds me of being in the amazing sewing room I had in Hampshire, where Ollie snored on the sofa whilst I listened to an audio book or half-watched a TV on quietly in the background.  I wouldn't move back to Hampshire if you paid me (OK, maybe if you paid me a seven-figure sum I'd consider it . . . briefly) but I do miss the amazing sewing room I had there.  It didn't have the views, or our wonderful garden, or the indefinable 'quality of life' which makes being in Cumbria so special, but it was absolutely massive - and I still regularly grumbled it wasn't large enough.








10 comments:

  1. Sitting on the floor of the dining room early christmas morning - keeping quiet so not to wake the rest of the house - I read your post - I can feel the tiniest chink of your 'inner sunlight' is beginning to return :).
    Mankind are a resilient lot - yes there is a lot of damage after the floods, but it has happened before and by the sounds of it, it will happen again. We as a race are stubborn creatures and we get up and we get on, Have a lovely gentle day with your precious Management and Daisy xxx PS why am I sitting on the floor, in the dark trying not wake everyone? Coz I am looking up IBS soup recipes so I can make one today for my brother who has restricted his diet to just broccoli and plain chicken - of I have neither in the house!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're a perception soul Hawthorn, yes, it is not only our earth which is on a path but to sunnier days :-}

      Hope you managed to sort something out for your brother.

      Delete
  2. I do hope the weather is kinder to Cumbria this time around. It is raining here yet again.
    Have a good day, keep warm and dry x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica. Yesterday was a little more kind but today it is wet, wet, wet again.

      Delete
  3. Your views always amaze me. What a wonderful place to stretch ones legs!

    I hope you had a lovely Solstice. I went back to read several of your recent posts, and have to say that the point of any holiday is that it has personal meaning to the celebrants. To carry on traditions simply because it's expected or because others do it makes them meaningless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leigh, those are wise words and you are absolutely correct that we should make our holidays personal.

      Delete
  4. It's so sad that Cumbria is under water yet again, I do feel for everyone whenever I see the rain start again, I know there's rain forecast for most of the coming week. I've missed a few of your most recent posts so I'm going back to read now. Hope you all had a wonderful day yesterday and are continuing to enjoy the festive period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. Hope you all enjoyed yourselves and Archie had fun too :-}

      Delete
  5. your sewing is looking wonderful, it will bring sunshine whatever the weather decides xxx sometimes we need to make our own sun x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Tess, I reckon we all need a little sunshine at the moment. Hope the river levels are not too bad in your part of the world.

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}