Tuesday, 24 November 2015

Moonrise

Who knows whether it was Weather Gods or Birthday Gods who smiled upon us at the weekend, but they are back to frowning with far too much rain yesterday and today, however, we have managed to take advantage of two gaps in the cloud today.

After lunch Daisy and I managed an hour's circular walk from the house without a single raindrop which in itself is a minor miracle at present, and at the end of the day I had barely five minutes to see the moon rise before it clouded over again.



The earth rotates so fast - in the time it took me to fiddle around changing a lens I'd lost the lovely composition of the moon behind the skeletal outline of a distant tree.  Fingers crossed for another opportunity tomorrow - we are forecast a decent day.



I've got a tutorial saved somewhere on how to get the moon correctly exposed - clearly I need to reread it :-{  The one piece of advice I do remember is that when the moon is nearly full there is far too much light and therefore lack of detail.  This is really not the time to hope for good pictures!







9 comments:

  1. Second 'moon' post I've read this morning. We rarely see one here, but quite often do when on our way home from somewhere, so must keep my camera ready more often. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You rarely see the moon? How can that be? I think I'd go [more] nuts if I didn't see the Sun and Moon all the time.

      Delete
  2. Nevertheless these are fabulous. I was out with my camera too ,,, all my pics are in the bin! I know what you mean about not seeing it! When I was in Spain looking after Rebecca for three months I hardly saw it at all and really missed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry your moon pics are in the bin Jill, but you usually get much better sunsets than me :-)

      Delete
  3. what a gorgeous photo, the moon has been oh so beautiful these last few nights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Driftwood, and welcome to Bag End :-}

      Delete
  4. You shouldn't have such a posh camera. My camera only has one lens so you just have to twiddle it.
    I'm sure Lightroom can adjust your exposure but the photographs look perfect to me as they are. It doesn't really help does it to say that the full moon isn't a good photographic subject if you want to see the whole mopn it's your only choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're quite right Sue, as always :-}

      I am sure that Lightroom could transform my pictures but I still hang on to the notion of getting it right in the camera, rather than relying on software after the event :-)

      Delete
    2. I used to think of it a bit like cheating, then thinking about it it really isn't any different to changing things on the camera it's just a different way of achieving the same thing. Many aspects fall into a similar sort of category now that technology is advancing and now we don't think twice about using digital rather than film photography. The only thing that does annoy me is when a photograph is manipulated to look completely different from real life and then not and then to pass it off as being as shot. It's fine when you are manipulating a photograph to achieve artistic outcome but to pretend that is how the real thing looked is a different matter. Using Lightroom to tweak the exposure and sharpness isn't the same thing at all. Often as you found the opportunity to take a photograph is fleeting, you will have a lot more time to be able to tweak the photograph afterwards. It doesn't take away any of the skill of the photographer who has to have an eye for composition.

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}