Monday, 30 November 2015

Brief respite

Rain, rain, rain, rain, more rain and wind.  And then some more wind, wind, wind and rain.  Who had the silly idea to name our winter storms?  All it has done is given the dratted things over-inflated ideas about their own importance and encouraged them to strut and preen and generally make far too much noise.

Yesterday Daisy refused to move out of her warm nest of quilts until nearly 10am and who can blame her?  But this afternoon we had a brief respite where the clouds parted for long enough to show an enticing glimpse of snow on the fells, and we were able to do our 'long walk' down by the river.  3 miles later we were both cold, and her coat and my trousers were so mud splattered that the washing machine went straight into use on our return.



Not a great deal I can do to 'improve' these photos when the sky is the same colour as the fell tops:-)






13 comments:

  1. Just like an ever changing mural. I agree that it is stupid to name the storms whatever will we have next windy Wendy?

    I am hoping for a mild December, as we may have to carry out one or two journeys across the Pennines in December.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have to make your journeys Susan, I hope you stay safe :-}

      Delete
  2. Our respite is today. I might have to venture out towards the greenhouse and see what has survived. Take out shares in horticultural glass suppliers, we've already had to repair a cold frame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, sorry you've had damage. Our glass is toughened which added horribly to the price/weight but did mean when a pane broke as we were building it we could vacuum up all the little bits. Yes, I have hoovered part of the garden . . .

      Delete
  3. At least you could see the fell tops Jayne even if they were the same colour as the sky :-) The good thing about this weather is that it's so nice to come back inside :-0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope the rest of your trees (and those next door) are still standing.

      Delete
  4. I even read here that Wales was due for some serious rain this week. Hope you stay afloat :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dani. Wales is a long way from here (by English standards) but I think the whole country is getting something of a battering at present.

      Don't suppose you see snow very often?

      Delete
  5. I love the photos whatever! Hope the storms ease up and yes, how silly to name them. We've had several weird, though very quick storms of high winds, a little thunder and rain, but so brief, nobody would have time to name them. Leave that to cyclones I say. Keep warm and dry and take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To my surprise I am finding that having named storms is making it easier for me to remember what's been happening when . . .

      Delete
  6. Glad someone else agrees at the silliness of naming storms. Lovely photos :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hawthorn. I guess the nomenclature is another American import which was inevitable :-{

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}