Monday, 16 November 2015

An unexpectedly splendid day

The calm between two storms - probably.  Completely unexpectedly we've had virtually no rain today and occasional sunshine.  Whilst I could have taken Daisy on the fells it would be been horribly wet underfoot and probably unpleasantly windy, there was certainly a strong enough breeze in the garden.  Enthused by getting caught up with the blog, the photos AND having made a start on the Autumn clear up I decided we'd get more out of the day by staying at home.

I've managed to cut back all the dying perennials in the huge side bed which runs from the Big Pond deck to the Coppice.  What is more amazing is that is took a little over two hours and that included all the time I spent throwing the ball for Daisy. Her Ladyship has probably covered more ground and at greater speed today than if we'd wandered around Crummock Water.







Talking of speed - yes, Daisy is irritatingly out of focus in this picture.  Given the speed she was charging around the garden I'm surprised she's even in the shot!





There is still weeding to do, and at a later date some shrubs need a bit of reshaping/pruning but it was really encouraging to see how much I got done in a relatively short space of time.  The weather forecast for the next couple of days is awful so I don't think I will be doing any more gardening tomorrow.

I might do some sewing though ... I did a little yesterday but it did not make its way into the blog.  A cheapo duvet cover has been altered and Daisy now has two more covers for her beds.  Because she is so short of comfortable beds . . .











7 comments:


  1. that wa

    That was great work in the garden and RIGHT, Daisy needs another comfy bed? Bless her though she is such a sweetie and is very spoiled by her Mum. Stay dry, but you could send some of that rain our way. Take care.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think everyone in Cockermouth would happily package up some of this rain for you :-{

      Delete
  2. Sorry about the bit above my comment. Not sure how that happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. {{grin} don't worry Susan, just nice to have your comments.

      Delete
  3. Gosh your beds looks nice after your clean up, Jayne. Don't you feel great now that it's sorted out? Hope Daisy enjoys that bed. Say, what is the gizmo attached to the top of the woodburner? Is that a fan or something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kris, yes it feels great to have that big bed cleared up, so maybe this ~will~ be the season I get tidied up before plants start growing again?

      If you Google/Amazon for 'woodburner fan' you will find our 'gizmo'. It is not attached, just sits on top of the stove. Makes a huge difference to how much the heat is moved around.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! Looking for something to help distribute heat from my fireplace. :-D

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}