Friday, 18 September 2015

Damn, drat, b*gger, blast.

Wednesday's squashed hand has now regained almost full mobility and the swelling has mostly gone down although the side of my thumb joint is definitely 50 Shades of Purple.  Unfortunately, that has not been the end of my 'little tumble'.  On Wednesday night when I knelt to do the wood burner I discovered I had a very sore knee.  Most of yesterday I hobbled around, or sat around and assumed it was just a bit beaten up; no bruising, not much swelling, I was fairly certain nothing was broken.



Today it's been more than painful and walking was becoming almost impossible.  Management INSISTED we were going to hospital.  I agreed as long as we went to a nearby Minor Injuries clinic and not A&E.  Whilst the poor NHS crumbles under the weight of current pressures there are still outstanding personnel in local units who do their damnedest to deliver the highest level of care and we saw one such Nurse Practitioner this afternoon.

A lady called Pat gave my leg a thorough examination, procured an Orthopedic Consultant with a wait of approximately three minutes, and together they agreed I had no breaks, no ligament damage, but there was an infection introduced by a small puncture I'd not even noticed.  This morning my knee looked fairly normal, by mid afternoon it was red, hot, angry and in bad need of antibiotics.

So that's me on Flucloxacillin for a week and Management on Daisy-walking duty. 


10 comments:

  1. Ouch - nasty. Hope you're back on both legs / knees soon.

    Thank goodness for health care workers who love their job,and thus do their best for their patients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dani. Yes, this lady was the very best of health care and Management and I both said we were extremely lucky to be seen by her.

      Delete
  2. A rest won't do you any harm. Take it easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica, it might not do me any harm but very frustrating. We had hoped to take the caravan away this morning ....

      Delete
  3. Hope you recover quickly Jayne, shame about your caravan trip I was looking forward to hearing all about it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann, we weren't going far, not even out of the county :-) but it's about time we had the inaugural shakedown trip. Never mind, there will be other weekends.

      Delete
  4. Get well soon Jayne. David went to our Minor Injuries Unit with his broken leg ,,, they were brilliant. Also went to one in Derbyshire with a sliced finger ,,, again superb care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill, lovely to talk to you today :-)

      Delete
  5. I hope you recover very soon so you can get away in the caravan Jayne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your good wishes Catherine. Thankfully the antibiotics seem to be working and I'm improving every day.

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}