Monday, 21 September 2015

A very sad day

Today started so well.



And then it went distinctly downhill.



I've often said this would happen but I always, desperately, wanted to be wrong.   I've been in touch with the local red squirrel protection group and a trap is set.  The grey will be back now it has discovered a tasty food source.  When the little grey bastard is caught he will be shot.  If you don't like that then tough.  The only thing which would prevent the demise of our beautiful native reds is the eradication of non-native greys.  There is neither the will nor strength of public opinion to do enough about this to really make a difference, so all over the country small pockets of volunteers do what they can. 


5 comments:

  1. That is such a shame Jayne. I would be doing the same if we had reds here :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jill, no sightings today and nothing in the trap (although we had a hedgehog snuffling about and I half expected to find it in the cage this morning).

    Thanks and hello to Naomi who would have commented if Google hadn't been unhelpful:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely agree with you, no more native Reds here anymore because of the Greys..take no prisoners!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you, you have to do what you have to do to save the reds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathy and Catherine, thank you both for your comments. Haven't seen the grey again, although this morning we had a very disgruntled hedgehog! He/she was swiftly released and the trap moved so that a squirrel can access it but (hopefully) a hedgehog cannot. At least it proves the trap works :-)

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}