Sunday, 9 August 2015

That went well . . .

After a week (since we paid the deposit), or about nine months (since we concluded a motorhome wouldn't work for us) or twenty years if you go back to where all this started our caravan was ready to be collected from Yorkshire.  260 mile round trip - A66, M6, M65 all the way, journey couldn't be simpler.

And so it was that I went and got our van yesterday.  Yes, me - on my lonesome, singularly, by myself.

There were lots of thoroughly good reasons why Management and Daisy stayed at home, and we all agreed that - for us - it was the best way to handle a very long day.  I had the most glorious of runs down to Todmorden - clear roads, blue skies, relatively few idiots around.  My brain was spinning after a three-hour instruction hand-over, and yes, my heart was thumping for the first couple of miles along not-very-good road with the caravan bouncing up and down behind me.

I knew the van was going to be light on noseweight and sadly the dealer had been a little dismissive of my concerns.  I stopped after ten minutes at a huge lay-by we'd identified last week, added 75kg of ballast I'd brought in the back of the car in the form of filled water containers and after that the caravan rode smoothly and gently and a few miles up the M6 I actually realised I was enjoying this!  Who knew?  A year ago I swore I would never even tow LP's trailer full of garden rubbish and here I am pulling a 7m caravan up the motorway with a grin on my face.

Yesterday was tiring, no doubt about that, and I must have phoned Management ten times just for a brief chat at various points during the day, but it was also one of the most satisfying and empowering things I have done in years.  There is now absolutely no doubt as to whether I can tow a caravan or whether I could go away by myself, and next month I'm booked on a Manoeuvring Course so I'll be taught how to properly reverse the outfit and not rely totally on our PowerMover :-)



There will now follow a couple of weeks of playing as we clean the van to our standards and start to fill it with all the bits and bobs that it needs to become 'ours'.










10 comments:

  1. Well done Jayne. I'm glad you did that and yes, I've towed ours with the Pajero, but not the X-trail, though I've definitely not even gone away without hubby in recent years. We spent enough time apart when he was a long distance lorry & bus driver and as a Coach captain away with tours. I often say I brought the kids up nearly single handed. I do hope you get as much pleasure from yours as we do ours when we are away (except the fuel bill), but then our caravans are much heavier because of our roads. Thanks for the update and take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan, I remember you saying how much he missed seeing the kids growing up because of work :-(

      Not going to worry about the cost of fuel. If we made that a focus then we'd never go anywhere :-)

      Delete
  2. I'm impressed you did that all by yourself. It looks like a lovely caravan, how exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie, we're very pleased and apart it needing a better clean than the dealer gave it, so far we haven't found any problems (fingers crossed I haven't just jinxed us!)

      Delete
  3. Hi well done to collect it and drive it all the way back home on your own,you are much braver than I am. I think I know where you got the caravan from as we pass the caravan place on our way to Gordon Riggs Garden Centre on a regular basis. Your caravan looks fabulous. What is the make you have chosen? I have been trying to get my OH to get one for several years but not got anywhere so far. You are so lucky. Our problem is storage which puts him off getting one. (cost)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Catherine, welcome to Bag End and thanks for saying 'hello'.

      Yes, it's exactly the place you think, on the Burnley Road. Small family-run firm with an excellent reputation. Honestly, it didn't take bravery to bring the caravan home. I had done LOADS of research and talked at length to a friend who is PSV & HGV qualified. I don't want to sound glib but half of it was common-sense, half of it was having the right mental attitude.

      I'm sure I didn't execute every single mile absolutely perfectly but there were no nasty moments, in fact, the worst thing was the stupid extension mirrors the dealer suggested I buy (cheap ones) which vibrated so much they were almost useless. I will be buying better ones this week.

      The van is a Lunar Quasar 544. Good luck with OH . . .

      Delete
  4. "Bits and Bobs" being quilts and Daisy I presume?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, one has to get one's priorities right! Look at the next post and you will see both essential items already installed.

      Followed briskly this morning by the coffee machine . . .

      Delete
  5. Well done you ,,,, so pleased! Another huge grin on my face here! You said you could and you went and did :-))) So proud lol! Just back from our four day trip, nice to get away even for just a short break. Quite a few Lunars on the site but I didn't spot a Quasar. Beautiful this morning, up at 6 and an early walk by the sea before we packed up to come home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jill, I guessed you were away as I hadn't heard from you :-)

      Good fun this 'van lark, isn't it :-)

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}