Sunday, 2 August 2015

Gulp

At one level it could be argued that Management and I have just done something which has been brewing for a nearly two decades.   At another level we've just done something spontaneous and quite insane.  So what's new?

It must be nearly 20 years since we bought our little Shetland Saxon boat and puttered up and down a local canal and that is where our desire to have a small, personalised weekend escape hatch was established.  And then a long gap filled with work, and mortgages, and moving, and everything which Bag End has thrown at us.  With the house & garden under control and M. looking at retirement in a couple of years our campervan toe-dipping exercise last year wasn't a mistake, just the wrong vehicle.

Behind the scenes there have been hours and hours of research and thinking and talking over the past few months, culminating in another day trip yesterday, a much longer one taking us to Lancashire and Yorkshire.  Next time I do this journey, probably next weekend, we'll be coming back at a motorway speed not exceeding 60mph!







The as-yet-unnamed new member of our family is a couple of years old, and those brown curtains are going to have to be changed :-)  FSH, manufacturer warranty, exactly the layout we were looking for and, weight-wise, perfectly suited to my car.

OMG. Gulp.  What have we done {{giggle}}




14 comments:

  1. How exciting! I bet you've got the furnishings planned already. I look forward to reading more about your travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie. Well, something had to get me back to the sewing machine and this might be it:-) Yes, a new 'accent' colour scheme is already planned.

      Delete
  2. Woo Hoo :-) Really excited for you. My Jane didn't like the curtains in her new van and got busy making new ones. You will love it x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill, I knew you'd understand {{hug}}

      Delete
  3. Yeah! Finally come to the crunch and you've made a decision. I'd love to see the layout inside and see if it's anything like ours. (won't be of course as ours in Oz are much different). I didn't change the curtains as they are a lovely pale green, but did make a small curtain for the door window and of course a quilt for the bed. Hope you get to use it for lovely holidays and lots of exploring. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, thanks for your comment. I've emailed you:-)

      Delete
  4. An extra outdoor room in the drive too?

    With all the roadworks around us you'd not make 60mph

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, I'm a very boring driver at the best of times and stick to speed limits. I'll definitely be taking it easy until I am used to towing.

      Delete
  5. "What have we done?" ... something wonderful. It'll be ace heading off when the fancy takes you. Let me know if you want any tips for places to stay in the South West :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello lovely girl, your little corner of England is on the agenda for next year:-) Prepare to be visited!

      Delete
  6. You go girl!!! You're gonna love it. I'm always encouraging folks to travel and see new places and things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're absolutely right Sue, we live in one of the most beautiful countries on the planet and I haven't yet seen all of it. M. and I want to put that right :-)

      Delete
  7. Woohoo. You've only been and gone and done it then? A Daisy bed on wheels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, most people just take a basket and blanket for the dog when they travel . . . but we're not most people, ha ha ha

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}