Saturday, 25 July 2015

Leaving the country

The lack of frequent posts and Bag End updates can be attributed not to being knackered and bluuurgghhh but to glorious mundaneness and minutiae.  Gardening has generally been confined to grass cutting and pottering about, and Daisy and I have been enjoying the wonderful variety of short walks on our doorstep.

But today that all changed when we upped sticks and left the country. No passports required until Ms Sturgeon gets her own way, just a family day out to Scotland.  There was much of this:  (not my photo, images nicked from Dumfries Caravan Centre's website)



But no purchases, yet, although we are very tempted and found a couple of lovely caravans that are big enough for three of us, within budget, and a good outfit match for my new car.

Daisy had been such a good girl, she had to stay in the car a bit more than she was used to (although at one point the caravan salesmen told us to just bring her into the vans with us - an invitation she happily accepted) but it was still a lot of hanging about for her and she was due a good walk.  It was a lovely day so instead of coming straight home we travelled another 10 miles or so along the coast and spent time at this gorgeous beach. 

With a little bit of imagination and artistic licence, I can see my house from here









12 comments:

  1. I know which salesman I would go back and buy from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always a difficult thing - away from home for too many hours to leave Daisy behind, but temperature constantly changing so I wasn't happy leaving her unattended in the car for more than a few minutes at a time. We were managing quite well taking it in turns to be just at the door of a van with her, whilst the other was inside. When she did come into a van she laid on the floor between the sofas and just looked around :-) I suspect that unattended kids climbing on furniture could make more mess (and get away with it). Impressed with the Dumfries place, suspect we will be back.

      Delete
  2. Good luck choosing your caravan. I've been thinking about getting a little one that I could take away on my own. Not sure if I'm brave enough to tow, but I'm tempted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, I started off being terrified and vehemently opposed to the idea of towing (hence our trying out a small campervan last year).

      I've come around to the realisation that there are HUNDREDS of people towing successfully every weekend, I have a car which I trust and know is more than up to the task, and you can get lessons. I am sure it will be strange and a bit scary to start with, but so is nearly everything when it's new. I suppose it comes down to how much you want to do something and I ~really~ want to be able to go away in our own little Wendy House on Wheels :-

      Delete
    2. Caravan/campervan/motorhome, the great thing is being able to take ones dogs along. Good luck! :-)

      Delete
    3. Absolutely correct, Wanda, and also knowing that the mattress will be OK and I'll be able to sleep!

      And who knows, when I get confident with towing I might end up in your part of the world :-) It's certainly on "The List".

      Delete
  3. Good luck with choosing a van. We've not used ours since summer, but are looking forward to using when this "freezing" weather changes. Wish you could come to our part of the world in it. (dreaming). I'm sure Daisy would be so much more well behaved than some of the kids nowadays and as for towing, I've driven in our old Pajero with the camper trailer on the back, but never attempted the van on the X-Trail, as I still struggle driving it anyway. Glad you enjoyed your weekend and take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Given how much I hate flying Susan, I'm sorry that there's no chance of me visiting you (although winning the lottery and hiring a private plane shouldn't be ruled out, ha ha ha).

      M. had a Shogun years ago (which is the same as Pajero), fabulous old vehicle. Surely the X-Trail is smaller so confused as to why you struggle with it?

      Delete
  4. For aminute there I'd thought you'd gone off without telling me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with the search ! Gorgeous beach pics on a beautiful day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely area Jill and there are quite a few CL's nearby. We plan to go back, and I think you'd like it too.

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}