Wednesday, 17 June 2015

Upheaval? Well, maybe not so much

On this occasion, the lack of stress (to me) can directly be attributed to two things.  The first was having Management at home on Monday and Wednesday, the second was choosing local firm, Eddie Shimmings, to do the work.

Every time I was asked a question I brought in M. to confirm the decision I was making and that really highlighted just how many choices I'm called upon to make when work is being done.  Might not sound like a big deal, but it takes its toll.

We had two teams from Shimmings.  Dean & Steve to do all the preparation, and Tony & Jason to fit the new vinyl floor.  Plus assorted other staff who would turn up unexpectedly with exactly the right sized screws, or trimmings, or whatever it was the crew had asked for.  Nothing was too much trouble and everything was done cheerfully.  This may have been due to a constant caffeine/sugar high; I've never known any workmen get through as much coffee as these guys consumed.  Hey - if it made them happy then I was prepared to put the kettle on as often as necessary (which turned out to be about once an hour!)

The hallway caused problems; it wasn't until the vinyl was down the reflections allowed us to see a bump in the screed ... I think the vinyl was put down and lifted about four times before everyone was happy with it.









There's absolutely no way this room will stay this tidy.  By the weekend we will be back to the usual miscellany of abandoned rucksacks, unread magazines and dog toys. 



The only question now is how soon we'll have the same vinyl fitted in the rest of the hallway and my sewing room :-)  We chose the most hard-wearing, thickest grade of Rhinofloor that's available.  This is what we used extensively in our Hampshire house and when we left after nine years it showed almost no wear at all - and that was despite enduring a young and active Ollie using the hallway as a racetrack on an almost daily basis.  The Rhinofloor is warm underfoot, easy to keep clean, quiet to walk on and dogs don't slip on it as they do with wooden surfaces.  No affiliation and not being paid for this {giggle}.


Edit: 8th March 2016:  it is NOT hard-wearing and it is VERY slippery.  Will never use again. For Daisy's safety we have covered it with carpet.



16 comments:

  1. Looks good and I'll try and email soon, with what is happening here. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan, hope things are settling down after your move and that you're feeling less exhausted.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Jill. I confess I'm walking around in something of a daze. It's so lovely, and so "finished" that I can hardly believe I live here :-)

      Delete
  3. It looks lovely now you just need ti move everything back. We have a wooden floor ion our small kitchen and if it was more widespread the noise is what would annoy me,

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Lovely and finished" is a great feeling Jayne. We have had another trauma here. David had an accident on his bike while attempting the End to End (Land's End to John O'groats ,,, I know!!!!) ending up in Plymouth hospital with a fractured pelvis last Saturday. Luckily he was able to be discharged on Sunday and Ben drove down to collect him and bring him and his bike home. Life is never simple ,,, only 4 months since he broke his leg!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good grief Jill, no wonder I hadn't heard from you. Wish David all the best from us and I'll call you soon.

      Delete
  5. Lovely, my dear, just lovely. Warm and cozy looking. And it's sounds very durable. Great choice. Hope the rest of the install goes as well as these section did. IS there any light IN your tunnel? You've been going great guns inside and out ever since I found your blog. Good grief girl! P.a.c.e. yourself. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kris, thanks for your lovely comment. You'll be pleased to hear that my tunnel is thoroughly illuminated! I have a new pace which works out approximately to "an hour's gardening followed 30 minutes sitting by the pond with the Kindle". So far, it's working rather well :-)

      Delete
  6. I was wondering how Daisy would cope until I got to the last bit explaining that dogs don't slip on it. Tivvy has real fun in our kitchen if she tries to stop too quickly. She manages to get into the kitchen for her food okay though - no surprise there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martyn, you know us well enough to know that canine considerations play a large part in the selection of just about everything, not only new flooring!

      Delete
  7. Had intended to ring you while I had the house to myself and some peace and quiet and then last week I saw you didn't have the house to yourself or peace and quiet at your end ,,, maybe next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill, with all the hammering I'm not sure I would have even heard the phone ring, let alone have a quiet chat :-) Perhaps this coming week?

      Delete
  8. It looks good. Well worth the coffee-making activities I'd say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well worth it Sue. How's your own refurbishments coming along?

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}