Tuesday, 16 June 2015

Upheaval, 2 (aka "is it really only Tuesday?")

First things first, this is how the rooms looked after hardboard was laid yesterday:









I suppose today's not been too bad .... depending on your definition of bad.  It started at 4.00am for Management who unexpectedly had to be in London (so much for 'working at home' to help mitigate my stress and disruption!) 

It started just before 6.00am for me with the continually smiling floor fitters on the doorstep at 7.20am . . .

Daisy followed me around like a shadow all day.  She didn't mind yesterday's noise but today's shut doors and barricades had her confused and more than a little worried.

This was my kitchen for Tuesday.  Making coffee for the boys was easy, but taking it to them involve walking around the entire garden to get to somewhere I could leave mugs which they could access:-)    Fortunately it was dry so cooking a late breakfast on the camping stove in the garden worked fairly well.



Being denied access to most of the house wasn't too bad, particularly when I realised I could open a never-used door on the balcony and get into my study if need be.  Having wet screed poured everywhere wasn't too bad, at least it didn't smell, and the boys left at 10.30am.  They returned four hours later to "finish and polish" which should have taken 60 minutes.  They finally went home at 7.00pm. 





The wet screed in the hallway had pulled the hardboard away from the old and damaged parquet flooring underneath and the whole lot had to be redone.




Just one more night of mild chaos, and hopefully there won't be any problems tomorrow when what feels like acres of vinyl flooring is being fitted.


10 comments:

  1. Nearly there! We have similar happening 2/7 with vynil planks being laid over the tiles in the kitchen, then the week after, carpet going over the rest of the tiles in the family area. Tiles are far too hard on our feet and legs. Hope all goes well and take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Susan. We've chosen a hard-wearing vinyl which we have used in a previous house. It's soft underfoot, easy to clean, dogs don't slip on it - what's not to like :-)

      Delete
  2. And repeat, 'It'll be lovely when it's finished, it'll be lovely when it's finished....'. :-)

    Nice that you are making coffee in the sewing room - have you lost your fridge/teaspoons/coffee/biscuits yet? :-D Like the way that you've had to walk round the block to get from one bit to another bit of the house, and that you are making full use of the lovely new windows/doors that you had fitted a week or two back!

    It'll be worth it when it's finished....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning lovely, nice to hear from you again. Everything you say is 100% spot on - yes, I lost the coffee at one point ( oh, the horror, the horror! ), and it was quite amusing to walk all around the garden to deliver coffee.

      and yes, It'll be lovely when it's finished, it'll be lovely when it's finished....

      Delete
  3. Tivvy doesn't like doors to be shut even when she has shut them herself.

    The worst sounds to be over,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, but has Tivvy learnt to open doors? Daisy can push a sliding door open in seconds, handles take her a bit longer.

      I think the worst is over, as I type this they are already unrolling the first piece in the day room to relax.

      Delete
  4. Eeeek, hope it's all going well today. Archie adds to my stress if I've got workmen in as he never stops barking when someone's in his house who he doesn't know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, poor Archie; very stressful for all of you. Daisy is generally OK as long as I'm in sight although today she was obviously fed up and would like her normal routine back. I know how she feels :-)

      Delete
  5. Just posted and its disapeared try again
    I hope your enjoying your garden doing what you want when you want, the disruption of the new floors will soon be forgotten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann, lovely to have a comment from you, thanks. I'll reply to your email as soon as I have some quiet 'PC' time.

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}