Monday, 15 June 2015

Upheaval, 1

Hmm, I've got some catching up to do ....  It's exactly three weeks since the new paths did not get finished and LP left.

I finally managed to convince him that I really did mean it when I said we weren't going to start any new projects until I'd (a) planted out everything which I've grown from seed and bought recently and (b) caught up on the weeding and areas which are going feral and (c) sat down a lot and looked at the view.  He said "oh, so I've really been sacked then?" and I had to spent another quarter of an hour convincing him that "no, this was just a sabbatical whilst I got caught up" and reminding him of all the other work he had waiting.  Case in point, ten days later I called in to nearby farm for eggs and found him working there - currently full-time.  

So in the last three weeks I've done a bit of planting out (but not enough), a bit of weeding (but not enough) and quite a lot of reading and sitting around.  And Management and I have also moved furniture ... well, that was just Sunday evening.

It has "only" taken us 2½ years since the last bit of kitchen remodelling to finally make a decision about flooring.  And not content with just fixing the kitchen floor, we're also doing the boot room, the day room and part of the hallway.  So that's nearly half the house out of commission for three days.









Management points out I shouldn't have joined if I couldn't take a joke.  I suggest that maybe this is one of those bits of 'humour' that isn't actually funny.  We are (thankfully only briefly) back in the land which Hazel describes so perfectly as the "kitchen-contents-in-every-other-room syndrome".

It's not really that bad and oh boy, it's going to look bluddy lovely when it's done!




10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Sue, fortunately it's not raining so Daisy and I have been pottering around outside which is always good.

      Delete
  2. Well I hope your workmen are quieter than the guys we have here at the moment re-doing our en-suite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, I suspect not. The hardboard has been nailed down to within an inch of its life - it was pretty deafening at times.

      Delete
  3. I hate upheaval but it's always worth it in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we all dislike the disruption Jo, and I keep telling myself I'm lucky to be doing it.

      How these people on Grand Designs manage full-blown rebuilds whilst living in a place is completely beyond me?

      Delete
  4. It will be worth it..
    It will be worth it..
    It will be worth it..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. {{giggle}} you're absolutely right Jessica, and yes, it WILL be worth it :-)

      Delete
  5. Should look good and hope to see the finished pics. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan, there will be pictures . . .

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}