Wednesday, 24 June 2015

Prioritising

The process of recovering from having done far too much for far too long involves naval-gazing. (It also involves a lot of map-gazing - planning routes and walks for one day in the future, but that's another matter entirely.)  During a recent spell of contemplating and cogitating a blinding truth finally made it's way to the top of the consciousness:  I've not necessarily been doing too much this year, but I've been doing the wrong things.

I've been fire-fighting in the garden, constantly moaning about the need to weed and clear areas which are going feral, whilst ignoring the increasing number of plants either I've bought or raised from seed which were languishing in the nursery.  Plants don't belong in pots which is why you'll rarely find big tubs or containers at Bag End - I've enough to do without forcing things into artificial conditions and setting myself a huge watering task.  Plants belong in the ground where they can spread their roots, develop symbiosis with mycorrhizal fungi, combine with their neighbours and take their chances.



So this morning I set to with a clear intention - just work steadily through the nursery area and get EVERYTHING in the ground.  If some plants ended up in not quite the right place they can always be moved later; I'd prefer to get the location correct first time round, but needs must. And so the day progressed with a pattern of one hour on, 30 minutes off.  I spent the 30 minutes off with my Kindle and read an entire book today; in truth sometimes the breaks got extended if I was at a good bit!  This way I pottered gently from about 10.00ish until the light started to fade, which at this time of year is also 10.00ish.  Of course I didn't get nearly as much in the ground as I'd like but when I'd had enough of planting I set out the remaining plants around the garden.  Today's been so enjoyable, if only I could do it all again tomorrow - sadly, errands will come first.











There were also countless games with Madam and a couple of short walks around the block.  Daisy has done so much sprinting back and forth after the vast assortment of toys which live in the garden I reckon she's covered as much ground, if not more, than she did on Monday going up Sale Fell.

The G&T next to the pond at 10.15 was lovely, so quiet and still except for three or four bats who visit every night to take advantage of the Midge Buffet above the water.  I needed a jacket on, it wasn't warm enough without one, but at least we were outside late into the evening, not something we've had much chance of so far this year.







8 comments:

  1. Glad that you are achieving a sense of balance as is Daisy on the edge of the path.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely - after a sweaty day in London today this is just what I needed to read. Not as much as I needed the G&T, mind. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't help you with London, but I hope you got your G&T :-)

      Delete
  3. Now that sounds like FUN day of gardening, not a work day gardening and I'm proud of you for it! Way to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Total fun, very relaxing (all those Kindle breaks!), a day where I cruised along in soft time completely losing track of the clock.

      Delete
  4. Looks like you've been very busy, but glad you took some small breaks. It's going to look spectacular once all that fills out. My friend J left me a book to read yesterday, called Dewey, about a cat and a library. Hopefully that will help me relax and she's been great since we got back and is coming to help move books for when our carpet is laid. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan. In truth, they weren't small breaks but so what? I've been doing too much and M. is always encouraging me to just sit back and chill a bit more. Maybe finally I am listening to him :-)

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}