Sunday, 21 June 2015

Midsummer, the turn of the year

No Solstice sunrise today, thick cloud put paid to any chance of seeing the sun climb above Skiddaw.

I can hardly believe it's Midsummer.  From now the days get shorter and there is less light and we move inexorably towards winter.  Yuk.  Summer hasn't even begun this year. But as the year changes, so do I.  Things are good here and I've been pottering around in the garden thoroughly enjoying LP's absence.

Still not got everything planted out or weeded but I no longer care.  I had a turning point of my own a couple of weeks ago but I don't want to commit the details to the blog because doing so creates a permanence, whereas I'd prefer to forget a couple of really shitty days.  The result however, was that I finally gave myself a metaphorical severe thump around the head and am now able to view the garden in a completely different light.

I no longer look out and see all the jobs that I've not yet completed.  Instead, I am looking around the garden constantly amazed at just what a wonderful space we've created.  I'm no longer working outside every available moment but spending nearly as much time sitting by the pond reading as working.  It's rather lovely:-)

I might even take a few photos at some point, in the meantime, here's today's photo.



Middle of the year and we've got the fire on and not for the first time this week.  There is consolation in knowing it's not just us - everyone I speak to admits to having the heating on for an hour or so in the evening, "just to take the chill off".  Hell, I even took a hot water bottle to bed one day last week.





10 comments:

  1. When we first finished work we treated the plot as our job and had a rethink. Now we too are more chilled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've all been telling me slow down but I had to get there in my own time. Chilled is good :-)

      Delete
  2. Can you come and give my head a thumping too! I can't believe you have the heating on in midsummer, but then we ought to talk, as ours has been on at times nearly all day. It was -1.8 when I looked at 8am and there is still frost on the front garden and it is now 10 o'clock. Oh well, so much for global warming? I look forward to your updates and photos. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, no-one can deliver a head-slap that works apart from the person attached to the head :-) You're so like me {giggle}.

      Delete
  3. Fires lit, heating on and hot water bottles here too. Sat outside for an afternoon cuppa with family yesterday, the sun went in, the wind blew and we shivered! My book made it outside this week too as I have been so shattered lately trying to do everything I took a bot of time out. Doesn't help living next to a wood that is higher than the garden and brimming over (into our garden) with nettles! Just think Jayne that when all my flowers that are out now are past their best, yours will be still glorious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here Jill, I had shorts on for a couple of hours Sunday afternoon but as soon as the sun went in it was ruddy perishing!

      Delete
  4. Glad your enjoying your lovely garden at last

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann. Let's just hope I can keep this up :-)

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}