Friday, 26 June 2015

Busy Day

Today was going to be gentle and thoroughly indulgent - nothing scheduled except going up to Carlisle to collect my new car.  A fine plan until I found Walter in the garden shortly after 8.00am wondering if it would be OK to try and finish the paths.  (Blog lag and an unpublished draft post  means I've not yet written about heavy rain damaging the sub-base and having to wait until a drain was unblocked ...)  Management helped me move all the stuff which I'd left laying around and by the time breakfast was finished Walter had returned with extra fine sub-base to do the repairs followed swiftly by his big wagon full of slate chippings.

I left them working, Management in charge of Daisy and the kettle, and went to Carlisle.  There was nearly a tear and certainly a big lump in my throat when I handed over the keys to Hattie.  I've never kept a car this long (nine years), she was the most comfortable vehicle I've even driven, never once failed to start, never let me down in any way;  I hope she goes to a good home.

Our new car is wonderful but it might be sometime before I worked out how all the modern bits & pieces function.  There's more computing power in this car than sent Armstrong, Aldrin and Collins into space.  Not withstanding technological befuddlement, we 'christened' the car with a quick family outing to Allonby when Management finished work, but only for a walk and not fish & chips.



Back in the garden Walter and his guys started at the nursery area and spread slate chippings everywhere but ran out when they got to the Big Pond. They're coming back in a couple of weeks to finish off as we've decided to include the Coppice path in the refurbishment.





10 comments:

  1. Paths are looking good. K and I are trying to work out what sort of car you bought? I had my little Pulsar for 15 years and still miss her. I just can't manage the X-trail because of its size, but I will drive it if I really have to. Well done for getting out for a little while. All take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a Subaru Forester. We like the very much XTrail but the seat is uncomfortable for me.

      Delete
  2. Good luck with the new car. I love the way slate changes colour in the wet. It will be lovely when done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda. Right now the slate is covered with quarry dust, this is one of those rare occasions when I won't mind if it rains :-)

      Delete
  3. It is a strange feeling when you turn over the keys, isn't it? Glad you've got the new girl. Does she have a name yet or are you still studying her personality?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, turning over the old keys felt really strange.
      No name yet, haven't spent enough time with her.
      M. has been making suggestions, so far I've rejected all of them :-(

      Delete
  4. Soon cars will be so advanced that Daisy will be able to chauffeur you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi car looks good paths look great, I have blue slate chippings on the paths round my raised beds they have lasted for years easy to walk on and push a wheelbarrow and you don't get bits stuck in your boots like you do with small gravel

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}