Wednesday, 29 April 2015

New windows, a survival guide

In a (non-existent) ideal world either we wouldn't need to replace windows or I could be a very, very long way away when it happened.  In the real world neither was an option so I insisted on the next best thing which was for Management to be here.  And bless him, he shielded me completely from the stress and most of the disruption so Day One of the latest phase of work passed relatively easily.

So here's how to survive the replacement of two huge windows in the sitting room:

1.  Have Management here to help move furniture and cover everything with decorating sheets.

2.  Take Daisy for a long walk by the river.

3.  Come home, have coffee, take some pictures.

4.  Go out and do the grocery shopping and errands.  Leave Management with the camera.

5.  Come home, have a quick lunch.

6.  Go out to my favourite nursery.

7.  Come home with a car full of plants.

8.  Help clear up and wave good-bye to Liam and Mark until tomorrow.






"Room with a view"











These are very big bits of glass.





Daisy was completely unperturbed by the whole thing.







Priorities - woodburner first, then put supper in the oven :-)




Even though things are not completely finished, we are completely blown away by the impact these new windows have had on the sitting room.  Our plan was to have window seats made which is why the bottom of each window is solid, however, now they're fitted we are not so sure.  No problem, we'll live with this for a few months and then decide. 

M. admits that there was a couple of occasions when he was glad I was out - rotten wood under one of the old windows, all the water gushing out of the old (and failed) frames, the mess when timbers and wall above the old windows were removed, the mess when insulation was being fitted . . .  Oh, I am so glad I didn't witness any of that.

11 comments:

  1. Bravo!
    Thank goodness the sun was shining..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been terribly lucky with the weather this week. No idea what would have happened if we'd had the usual semi-horizontal rain . . .

      Delete
  2. Wow, they look very swish. I just drooled over the view (even with the mess), then came the memories of sitting in the other room, chatting, drinking tea and eating cake with you. Hope the rest goes well and glad you weren't there for the worst. Take care and give Daisy a cuddle for me and M a pat on the back for being so caring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan, rest assured, Daisy has been thoroughly cuddled (and some coffee & walnut cake may have been consumed!)

      Delete
  3. Wow - Management did good lol Window seats - always wanted one, and know that I never will...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Dani, Management was a star - you should have seen how much cleaning and housework he managed whilst I was out (something to do with his Mum coming the following day!)

      Delete
  4. Replacing windows is a nightmare - at least it wasn't raining or snowing or blowing a gale - was it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Sue, having windows done is a horrid job. We were incredibly lucky with the weather.

      Delete
  5. Looking good Jayne ,,, we had the second installment of our new windows when I was in the middle of chemotherapy!!! Luckily it was the summer holidays and David was at home or I would have not have agreed! I remember not being happy at the time though!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that puts my miseries firmly into perspective.

      Delete
  6. Your new windows look great! I like how it provides you a better look outside, since you have a wonderful view from that room. Daisy seems to enjoy lying down in your sitting room by those big windows. And you can’t blame her – that area looks cozy! Anyway, thanks for sharing your experience and the things that happened while they put your huge windows. Good day!

    Christie Goodwin @ Window EnhancementsLLC

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}