Sunday, 1 March 2015

And ‘sow’ it begins

In truth ‘it’ began on Friday when I sowed a couple of short rows of carrots and the same of parsnip but today was the first session in the greenhouse with seed packets.  Happy day :-}

I've redone the vegetable bed planting plan and suspect that latent OCD has finally broken through to the surface! Should I be worried that I'm so pleased to see pretty coloured labels all neatly laid out?  In reality this plan might not survive, Mother Nature and the plants themselves are sure to have other ideas.



In 2011 and 2012 I tried hard to plant and transplant according to the Maria Thun Biodynamic Calendar.  I did not keep accurate records or grow plants in a non-biodynamic way as a control, but I KNOW just by looking, feeling and experience that the plants raised this way were stronger and better. This year I am going to try much harder to stick to the calendar.  In truth, following this regime can be a pain if, for example, the calendar says sow root veg on Tuesday next week but you want to do it this Saturday . . . but with electric in the greenhouse this year I can always toddle out there in the evenings if there isn't time during the day.  I think it's worth it and surely if sowing at the "right time" gives better plants and tastier crops for no extra money or effort, then why wouldn't you?  A few years ago I visited the Garden Organic grounds at Ryton.  The one section which stuck in my mind more than anywhere else was the Biodynamic Garden.  This area had an energy that was different from anywhere else on the site, it was an experience that's difficult to describe but I can recommend a visit.

There was a long and messy evening with seed packets and sheets of coloured labels all over the sitting room floor which has led to everything being categorised either Fruit, Flower, Root or Leaf.



So I've got one plan showing me WHERE and another set of guidelines telling me WHAT and WHEN.  And I can think of at least one person who I know reads the blog but never comments who will be thinking "she's finally admitted in public that she is absolutely bonkers" but I don't really care, (ya, boo, sucks and all that).



Today was a Flower day, so half a dozen trays of seeds, plus 20 Gladioli bulbs.  I like to start bulbs in pots and plant them out once I know they're growing strongly.  I reckon they have a better chance against the mice this way.











14 comments:

  1. I'm sure you're right about the mice. It's difficult to spend any time in the greenhouse at the moment, let alone do it to a calendar but I'll be very interested to see how it all works out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jessica, sorry you can't get to the greenhouse at present. You've just reminded me though - "must set mousetraps". I know the little sods get into the g/h.

      Delete
  2. I've just done a catchup on reading earlier posts. I'm really looking forward to your experiment with biodynamics and funnily enough read an article related to it just after I'd spoken to you on Thursday. Talk about weird. Maybe it's something I'll try in my next garden. Do we get the same days for full moons etc? Love how the garden is looking and can't wait to see the full extent of all the changes and it burgeoning with growth. Want to come on your walks, ours yesterday was "boring", Talk to you hopefully Thursday. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan, there seems to be a large Biodynamic movement in Australia, I am sure you could find stuff online. The Maria Thun calendar accounts for Southern Hemisphere.

      Sorry I was so useless during our last Skype. Perhaps this week we could try to change the times? How about morning for me and evening for you - might that work?

      Daisy would love you to come on a walk, but you have to get on a plane first :-}

      Delete
  3. I love your coloured labels and organisation. My sort of gardening :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for saying this Jenny, I'm glad I am not the only one!

      Delete
  4. If we consigned our seeds to the plot at the moment we would get no germination at all 0 we err on the side of caution and will hold fire for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I am a bit early Sue, but really champing at the bit this year :} If the parsnip and carrot outside don't germinate (and they are covered and protected) it doesn't matter, I was planning "succession sowing" anyway!

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you think you're a bit early. I thought it must be April and I'd missed March altogether.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's the worst that can happen? Nothing germinates and I have to sow again at the end of the month . . . although I did stick the thermometer in the raised bed before committing parsnip seed to the soil and it was 7 degrees (it's in a protected area and under an environmesh cover)

      Delete
  6. I thought you were a bit early for outside too but 7 degrees isn't bad. Good luck with germination :-) It looks beautiful outside in the sunshine this morning and that perishingly cold wind seems to have dropped so I shall be out there after breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my defence I shall say I've been led astray by Hazel, although she is further south than us . . .
      She put parsnip seed in on 22nd February: http://hazelandjanesallotment.blogspot.co.uk

      Delete
    2. 'ere - don't blame me! :-) And I wouldn't take a lot of notice of me anyway - what with my singular parsnip from last year...

      Oh - and I haven't forgiven you for that terrible pun in your post title, either! But on the plus side, I do like your colour co-ordinated stickers - might have to pinch that one!

      Delete
    3. Hi Hazel, would you prefer pathetic puns or awful alliteration (which is what I usually inflict upon you). Thought you might like the coloured stickers, ha ha!!!

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}