Tuesday, 24 February 2015

What we did today

Well, it’s more of what LP did today but I made the odd contribution :}

We dodged every kind of weather imaginable: rain, hail, sleet, snow and thunder, although when we weren't having five different seasons thrown of us it was bright and sunny, and we tried to avoid the mud (that's the fifth season which lasts from the end of summer until Christmas, and then hangs around until Easter).





Daisy and I managed an hour down by the river in between two snow storms and she paid the lambs no attention whatsoever, in fact, she was so busy sniffing around I don't think she even noticed she was on a long lead either :}



The third raised bed has been extended.  Not so much because we “need” more raised beds for veggies but because there was a chunk of unused space and this seemed like the best thing to do with it.







Management has clearly been pondering on the nursery area and at the weekend made a blindingly brilliant suggestion.  With much of the garden now stocked I don't need to raise "quite" so many plants in future.  He suggested that we take down the staging and replace it with cold frames.  I didn't need to even think about that, promptly ordered more timber and moved the few pots which remained.





Getting uncharacteristically ahead of ourselves, most of the timber we plan to use tomorrow (weather permitting!) is already cut to length.








11 comments:

  1. Oh - I do so love your raised beds (sigh)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dani, I seem to remember you have expressed raised bed envy before {{smile}}. They're very simple to construct and a fraction of the cost that gardening suppliers charge for something much smaller.

      Delete
  2. Raised beds are so good, especially when your back is bad. It's starting to look good and bet you can't wait till Spring is here. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Susan, really looking forward to the coming growing season :}

      Delete
  3. Not need as many plants - I wonder? Lovely to see the lambs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha Sue, I did say not "quite" so many - but you and I both know that's a 'flexible' quantity.

      Delete
  4. Sping? What is "Spring"? I chipped ice off the windows..... *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, I suppose I should not tell you that this week we had a brief couple of hours when the sun came out and I took my coat off . . . don't worry, we've also had torrential downpours and hail :}

      Delete
  5. Nice to see your progress in the garden Jayne. I'm not envious of the mud though:-). Lovely to see the early lambs. I agree ,,, not so many plants lol! Who are you kidding :-)!!! Spent nearly the whole day in the garden yesterday. I have chopped down two rambler roses and a honeysuckle that had completely taken over one area of the garden and were in danger of swamping the greenhouse. I have hardened my heart and am digging them out, far too big for the space. I have left a clematis which had become buried under all the growth and two far more sedate climbing roses which now have room to breath. It's taken me three days to get the enormous tangle off the archway over the path.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jill, sounds like you had a brilliant session in the garden after we chatted. I hope I am not being a bad influence on you :}

      Delete
  6. I think you inspire me Jayne ,,, your love of gardening is infectious ,,, my love sometimes gets buried under lots of other stuff!

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}