Saturday, 14 February 2015

Some plans take a long time to come to fruition

For about four years I have been cogitating a walking project to visit {*a large number of } tarns in the Lake District.  There are a huge number of them depending upon what criteria you adopt (are they on the OS map, do they dry up in summer, are they on private land).  If you just took the places listed in John & Anne Nuttall's excellent books there are 333 to visit, a massive undertaking which, should I achieve it, will be done by accident rather than design.

* my game, my rules.  I'm not going to say "visit all" because that immediately applies pressure and sets me up for failure



*     *     *

In July 2013 Daisy and I made a start on the idea when we walked up to High Nook Tarn.  Err, that's as far as it got! 



Enter 2015 and the wonderful David Hall whose website is the very best resource not just for fell walking but for Lake District churches, bridges, villages, sheepfolds and anything else you might be interested in.  This year, he is going to visit as many tarns as is practical and enjoyable.  And in an act of shameless copying (is imitation the sincerest form of flattery?) I am going to use David's project as the kick-up-the-backside I need to get on with mine.  I'm already lagging behind.  At the time of writing David has done 12 walks, visited 24 tarns and covered nearly 80 miles.  So far my year has comprised a period of time taken over with a bereavement, putting my back out and now a filthy cold that is a good contender for actually having been flu, but if it takes me three years to do as much walking as David manages in one, that doesn't matter :}

*     *     *

Management came with us to Bowscale Tarn.  Only 3.4 miles but according to ViewRanger nearly 1000 feet of height gain and my legs agreed.  Given that this time last week I was freezing cold, huddled under a quilt and fighting a raging temperature, there is an argument that maybe I shouldn't have gone out but I'm very glad we did and thoroughly enjoyed it.  The walk is easy, mostly on a farmer's track and almost as soon as you leave the car you are in silent emptiness - bliss.

There wasn't much snow left but Daisy still found enough to enjoy.

video










Bowscale Tarn is 'Glacial Geography 101' - a classic example of a hanging valley with corrie (complete with tear-drop shape), glacial moraine at the lip, steep back wall, leading into a textbook U-shaped valley bottom;  absolutely lovely :}





Getting a pose like this takes some doing.



More often than not the photo ends up like this:





Although there was a perfectly good box of dog food, clearly Management had more interesting consumables.





So thank you David, we had a great walk and I've finally got my own tarn project started. 






10 comments:

  1. That looks like plenty of snow to me, at least up at the tarn. Fabulous pictures and a great walk I'm sure :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess quantity of snow is relative Jessica, and this wasn't much compared to what there was a couple of weeks ago on this side of the fells.

      Delete
  2. Will catch up on your blog posts tonight and also send an email. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome home Susan, hope you had a good trip.

      Delete
  3. Wouldn't it be funny if you anded up at the same tarn as David?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cumbria is a very small place, so that is not such an unlikely thing as it might sound :}

      Delete
  4. I'm feeling cold just looking at those images. But Daisy ... what a star! And well done to you on bagging that tarn :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annie, sorry to take ages to thank you for stopping by. It was a lovely little tarn, definitely somewhere we will return to.

      Delete
  5. A gorgeous walk Jayne ,,, nice pics of you and Daisy too :-) Somewhere I have never been ,,, next time maybe :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the risk of repeating myself, get over here and we'll go together. It was a lovely walk and one I am looking forward to repeating.

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}