Thursday, 12 February 2015

A gift

So many people seem to be knocked off their feet at present by the horrible cold that's doing the rounds.  It (sort of) makes me feel better than it's not just me who has had it so badly :}  No chance of any big walks for Daisy at present, but this afternoon we had a pleasant mile-and-a-bit at Whinlatter.  As I was leaving I saw our nice elderly neighbour setting off for his daily walk around the village and asked if he'd like to join us.

My reward for taking a lovely 89 year-old to a part of the forest he'd not been to for many years was to be made this.





Deftly constructed in less than 10 minutes from 7 pieces of reed, I have been instructed not to get attached to it, because apparently it will have disintegrated in a couple of days :{

Near the car I found this pretty little branch which came home with us, hopefully it will last a bit longer.  Danny thoroughly enjoyed his outing and would like to do it again please. 





12 comments:

  1. Hope you are feeling a bit better now . How kind of you to take your neighbour out - he looks as if he really enjoyed it. That branch full of fir cones is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elaine. It's quite hard to take him out - he has coffee 'appointments' scheduled four mornings a week with friends, church on Sunday, walks to the shop for his paper at 8.00am each day, and bought a new car just before Christmas!

      Delete
  2. I hope that I'm up to walking in the woods at the age of 89. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both, Hazel! I didn't have to slow down for him either :}

      Delete
  3. How lovely, both taking your neighbour for a walk and the delightful gift he presented you with. I believe that keeping fit and active helps one live to a ripe old age, it looks like Danny's got a lot of years ahead of him yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, agree with you completely about keeping active. I know 70 year-olds who could not manage the walks that Danny takes himself out on :}

      Delete
  4. Moments like these are golden joys: unexpected, fleeting, memorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely Kris, and all the more cherished because of it:}

      Delete
  5. Sorry to hear you've not been well, hope you've woken today feeling stronger. He's a fine fellow your friend and what a lovely craft skill he has. He'd be a great visitor to the local primary school, kids love learning how to do things like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nic. I'm not sure Danny has time to visit local schools - what with his walks, coffee with friends 4 times a week, church, still does all his own laundry and shopping ....

      Delete
  6. I think I have read this blog but for some reason I can't have had time to comment. Your neighbour doesn't look anything like an 89 year old ,,, hope for us all there. Love the present he made for you ,, what a gentleman :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Jill, and hope that we are both getting around as well as Danny when in our 90th year.

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}