Monday, 12 January 2015

Windswept

Little Miss Perfect and I had a fabulous walk this morning.  Given how abysmal our weather forecast is for the rest of the week I took advantage of a break in the rain and we went round the back of Sale Fell.  Although very muddy in Chapel Wood we were sheltered from the worst of the wind and had the place to ourselves which is always a bonus.  Occasional bursts of sunlight made it extremely pleasant.







The wind really got into its stride as we hit the top of Lothwaite and I achieved a 'personal best'* by recording a gust of 55mph. That was a bit brutal and the rest of the time the wind was blowing a steady 35-40mph so no way we could have got up to the main summit.  Daisy was coping extremely well in her new even-more-weather-proof coat**, no hunched shoulders and flattened ears and a surprising amount of zooming around and chasing her tail.



A quick walk back to the car trying to ignore some very painful hailstones ended a lovely just under 3 mile walk. 




*  the previous highest recorded wind whilst walking was in May 2007 at the top of Grisedale Pike.  The weather had changed from "bright and sunny" to "no visibility and blowing a hooley" in the time it took to walk from Braithwaite to the summit, and a very necessary change of plans shortened what was to be a Coledale Round to a quick drop down to Force Crag Mine.  It was still a damn good walk though :-}








**  the week before Christmas she was the victim of an unprovoked attack.  We were in Harris Park and a collie went for her in no uncertain terms.  The bloody owners did nothing, except to berate ME for shouting at their dog.  Daisy's original Hurtta coat is now referred to as the stab vest because it prevented her getting bitten on her abdomen.  I've now repaired it but we took the opportunity to buy a new one whilst I was working out how to fix the damage.  Whilst our lovely girl had no physical injuries it has left her anxious when we meet dogs she doesn't know, we're working on that not becoming an ingrained habit.





10 comments:

  1. Wow, that must have been very blowy up there, and yes hailstones do hurt. I always try and stay somewhere safe when we have hail, though I've not seen anything much in years. Photos gorgeous as usual. Keep Daisy safe, as well as you. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were painful little blighters, but thankfully only for the last half mile :}

      Delete
  2. Amazing scenery especially when you see the photos full size. I admire your energy and bravery going out in all weathers. I stayed tucked up indoors - wimp that I am!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elaine, I'm really not brave - I am extremely selective where I go when the weather is less then perfect. Add to that a dog who needs a couple of hours decent exercise every day and I don't really have a choice :}

      Delete
  3. Daisy will need lead boots to stop her blowing away, Tivvy hates being approached by other digs and to be honest it worries me as there are so many reports of unprovoked attacks and she is only little. Did you tell the owners what you thought of them? Did you know them? I've never thought of collies as being naturally aggressive

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, thanks for your comment. Hope you've seen my reply sent privately to you

      Delete
  4. Aggressive dogs worry me too. Archie like's to be off his lead, he's a friendly dog and like to interact with other dogs but you can never be too careful. He never wanders far away from us and comes running straight back if a dog wants to run around and play with him, he's such a softie, but it only takes seconds for a dog to turn. Owners must know what their dogs are like with other dogs and they should be kept on a lead if they're in any way antisocial. Poor Daisy, it must have given her a real shock. I hope it doesn't undo any of the good work you've done with her to overcome her fears since she came to live with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jo, thanks for this, hope you've seen my reply sent privately to you

      Delete
  5. The photos are breathtaking and the nifty wind device is really nice. It's very disturbing to hear about what happened to Daisy, however. That is totally irresponsible on the collie's owner's part. They have no business having a dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spot on Leigh - don't you feel sorry for the dog who lives with owners like that? I've always maintained there are very, very few naturally bad animals but an awful lot whose bad behaviour is influenced/caused by their owners.

      Wonder what that says about Daisy - she's a completely soft idiot!

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}