Friday, 23 January 2015

Tough week

It's been a weird week and I'm at the end of it feeling worn out.  I don't feel like putting too much detail out in public, it involves the bereavement I mentioned previously.  Before anyone kindly steps in with condolences, they are not necessary; the death occurred a little while ago but for reasons I am still trying to get to the bottom of, no-one was notified.  There might be a future career for me as a private investigator though, I have uncovered all sorts of information and confess to quite enjoying the cerebral side of it.  There has also been an unusual amount of driving, think I'm up to about 300 miles since Monday, which is five or six times what I normally do in a week. 

A predominate theme this week has been the kindness I've encountered.  People who don't know us have bent over backwards to help and assist.  There really are some lovely folk about :}

It's not all been death and despondency - I'm also looking for a new* car and I ~HATE~ buying cars.  There have been test drives and much patience from salesmen (more of the above-mentioned kindness) and we get to Friday with no idea of where to go next, because the only vehicle which I thought would suit is incredibly uncomfortable to drive.  I am not the right shape for modern cars - my femur seems to be too short and seat bases stick alarmingly into the back of my knees which is never going to be comfortable.  Staying with a nine-year-old Honda is looking like an increasingly attractive option. 

Today there is thick cloud, rain and wind and it's lovely - an excuse/reason to stay hunkered down at home.  So far I've done all the laundry and tidied the floor of my study.  Might not sound much but it makes a huge difference to how I feel.



Yesterday was the highlight of the week.  I ignored everything which "had" to be done (clearly it didn't) and took Daisy out.  Nothing more exciting than three miles around Sale Fell but it was wonderful.  Just enough snow to be interesting but not so much as to make things difficult.  Blue sky, not a breath of wind, so warm I had to remove her coat and shed one of my own layers.  We took our time and when I eventually reached the main summit I realised I'd not thought once about funerals or cemeteries or solicitors or cars.  I'd been totally focussed on Daisy and our walk - completely in the moment - so not really such a bad week after all :}

I took zillions of pictures and a bit of video - my video skills are NON-EXISTENT and need lots of practise but if you can bear the sea-sickness inducing camera shake then Daisy barking at an unexpected snowman was the highlight of the day.



First outing of the year for my Micro-spikes - Daisy has canine crampons installed as standard.





There was much zooming around for the sheer joy of it





She really, really did not like that snowman :}











* not brand-new, never, ever.  Someone else can take the depreciation hit :}

22 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. She was not impressed - all the hackles were up on the back of her neck. Maybe she'd never seen a snowman before? Certainly she's never seen one on Sale Fell, and I reckon this was about her 50th or 60th visit so I can understand her being a little nonplussed!

      Delete
  2. Loved the video of Daisy and could just about feel I was there watching it all happen. I took one the other day and you'd definitely be seasick, so yours is by far, better. I've been having trouble sending emails and I'm off to Telstra this morning to try and sort it out, but I've written two to you, but it tells me they've not been sent because "I" have a prcocessing problem. Take care of yourself and I'll hopefully talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you get things sorted out soon Susan. I haven't received any messages from you via email :{

      Delete
  3. Superb Jayne :-) Your video of Daisy made my morning, loved it. Nice to hear your voice too. (Far superior to my efforts, camera shake, what camera shake!) A gorgeous walk for you both. A frost blue sky morning again and I wish we were somewhere in the caravan, very soon I hope. I know what you mean about bad weather, lighting a fire and getting cosy inside. Sunshine almost drives me to be outside and if I can't get out in it or don't feel like getting out in it, I get grumpy! I hope you soon feel better. Rest and recover, you are in the best of places :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS Good luck with your search for a 'not new' car. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. PPS Gorgeous snowy pics ,,, loved the one of Daisy bounding down the fellside!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, what lovely words Jill, thank you so much. Glad I got your morning started with a smile :}
      Thanks for the car 'wishes'. Have been out in the same model as your new car - also has the seat problem so it's another on the 'reject' list.

      Delete
  6. I love that winter makes me more conscious / care about sorting out messes. In summer one is always so busy in the garden that the inside of the house takes the back seat.

    Oh, for some snow. We're having 37oC here today (+/- 99oF) I WANT WINTER NOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Dani, I love it when the weather means I have to stay indoors and sew or sort out the house. Don't love it so much when Daisy needs a walk . . .

      Hate to tell you this, but I think you're in the wrong hemisphere if you want winter now :}

      Delete
  7. I hope you find the perfect "not new" car soon. I remember how much you hate buying cars from when you bought Hattie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue. At least I haven't (yet) lost my sense of humour over it. There are lots of cars I would like . . . but I'd also like to be comfortable if I'm planning on driving all around the UK.

      Wednesday's salesman made me laugh - he agreed that the seat was wrong as he'd observed I had fidgeted throughout the test drive. "I suppose a cushion's out of the question" he asked with a sheepish grin!

      Delete
  8. Awwww, bless her, Archie's just the same when he comes across something he's unsure of. Good luck finding a new car, I'm driving around in a fifteen year old banger because it's so comfortable to drive and I dread the day I'll have to have a new one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, if it was just "time for a new car" then I'd stick with the Honda ( I agree wholeheartedly about keeping a 15-year-old motor if you're happy with it) but after the 'campervan' saga we are looking at a caravan, and my car just isn't powerful enough to tow comfortably, SO, if I want a caravan I have to change my car . . .

      Can't use Management's car (which would tow) because it's another I find exceptionally uncomfortable to drive.

      Delete
  9. My iPad refused to show the video so I look forward to seeing it later. I have the seat as far forward as I can in our car. Martyn can!t even get in if I leave the seat on my position.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Me too Sue but funnily enough the Tiguan is the first car we have had where I don't need a cushion! Still don't like the electronic brake though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sue and Jill - that's what you get for having very tall husbands!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The video of Daisy is so cute. So glad she figured it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leigh. She was really quite funny - not scared (thankfully) - just a bit put out at the unexpectedness of it :}

      Delete
  13. Lol not sure about the 'perfectly' bit!

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}