Friday, 30 January 2015

Not quite the week I planned

I had such plans for this week - fell walking, a bit of batch cooking for the freezer, maybe an hour or two in the garden.  It didn't quite work out like that :}  Monday went well enough, a decent walk at Fangs Brow, a good bit of progress on 'stuff' in the house and I rounded off the day with my first ever Skype to Australia which I thoroughly enjoyed. 

Unfortunately the wheels rather came off when I woke up Tuesday morning and found I could hardly move . . . entire left-hand side of my back had gone into muscle spasm.  Although I've never had anything like this before I knew what it was, and that with care it should ease up in a few days.  Try explaining that to poor Daisy who just did not understand why Mum was not taking her for a walk.  Of course, she has survived and got plenty of exercise either in the garden or when I have walked slowly around the block with her.

Standing up and laying down were relatively pain-free (although getting from one orientation to the other was tricky) and surprisingly I've been sleeping OK.  Sitting hurt like hell so driving was out of the question, as was catching up on computer stuff.  Putting on socks has been like a bad game of Twister requiring much concentration and contortion.  A couple of hot baths helped although I took the phone with me in case I got really stuck.  Fortunately I managed to clamber out without assistance but I did think this would be a hell of a good way to get a fireman into my bedroom whilst Management was in London!  A neighbour kindly went and collected some painkillers from the doctor for me, which in truth I don't think I really need, but she also brought back a referral to the local physio department which I did want.  Many years ago when I dislocated my hip in the garden it was the Cockermouth physio team who eventually provided the correct diagnosis and treatment.  Sadly, the lady who treated me has retired but hopefully there will be someone else just as nice in her place.

An unusual amount of snow at Bag End yesterday, although within a couple of hours it was mostly gone.









Yes, that is a happy dog carrying snow in her mouth!





Ruddy irritating today - although I'm a bit better I still can't move enough to drive or go out and the fells look gorgeous.  I wish we were at Whinlatter or going up Sale Fell in the fresh snow.



14 comments:

  1. Do hope you are soon feeling a lot better and a physio I'm sure would help. The snowy photos are lovely and I'd love walking on the fells with a dusting of snow. Once M is home on the weekend, at least you'll have a bit of help and that should be good. Take care and get better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Susan, perhaps your next UK trip needs to be in our winter? :}

      Delete
  2. Ouch - know the feeling. Sounds like you need a dose of anti-inflammatories. Do you know what precipitated it - to try and prevent it from happening again?

    Oh, oh - that snow looks wonderful...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dani. The preceding week I kept getting "twinges" which I ignored until my body decided to MAKE me listen, hence the spasm, which is a protective mechanism. Might have been caused by all the extra driving I did, or possibly I twisted something in one of the endless games of "kick the rugby ball" for Daisy. I did quite a bit of 'vegging out' in front of the TV when I wasn't driving about because of this bereavement - perhaps I sat in the armchair for too long?

      If you are inclined to alternative medicine, there is a theory that grief can trigger spasms. I've been fairly knocked-for-six by what's happened so maybe that's the cause?

      Thanks for your concern, still hoping here that you get some rain soon :}

      Delete
  3. Daisy and I hope things improve soon. We have had one or two snow showers that threatened to become serious but haven't and only small patches of snow where the 'sun'; doesn't reach remain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue, glad the snow has not inconvenienced you.

      Delete
  4. Do take care Jayne, it happened to me.. I overstretched my back making roman blinds! It was agony, lying down equally bad and many sleepless nights spent wandering about the house because standing up was so much easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica, clearly you understand exactly. Just back from a walk at the beach (Management drove) - hadn't realised quite how much I'd missed being out :}

      Delete
  5. Glad to hear that you are on the mend - and although you haven't been able to be out in it, at least you have some lovely views to look at!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hazel, forgot my camera this morning but lovely views across Solway Firth to a snow-clad Scotland. Views from the house not too shabby either, hopefully take some pictures tomorrow.

      Delete
  6. Oh, you poor darling. Muscle spasms are the worst! Alternating heat and ice helps me a lot. But the darn things linger for days even when the main event has passed. Glad you are getting up and about now. Just went in for Xrays & MRI of my shoulder. It's getting worse every week. *whine* Our warranties are certainly running out, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kris, you know I have much sympathy and empathy with shoulder problems ... hope there is something you can do.

      Delete
  7. Well, bummer. I hope that your back is better soon. As you know, best to take it easy no matter how frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bummer indeed Sue, and I don't do "take it easy" well although with this I have absolutely no choice :}

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}