Friday, 5 December 2014

First snow

When Daisy and I went out this morning to Sale Fell it was cold but sunny, and whilst the summit of Skiddaw was in cloud, Ullock Pike and the lower slopes were clear and autumnal.  Two thirds of the way around our route I looked up and realised a very big, very black cloud was heading our way much faster than expected.  Although both Daisy and I were dressed for it, getting off the hill sooner rather than later was definitely in order. It was very heartening to find that I could jog the last mile back from Rivings without getting out of breath.  But it was downhill all the way and I wasn't exactly going terribly fast! 

A smidgeon under 3 miles which both Madam and I thoroughly enjoyed (actually, I don't think Daisy 'thoroughly' enjoyed the soaking she got for the last third!) and the fells looked a bit different when we got home.








12 comments:

  1. Stunning pic - you live in a magnificent part of the planet :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dani, 15 million visitors a year would agree with you, thankfully we know where to go to avoid most of them!

      Delete
  2. Brrrr. You need to keep moving to stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry Jessica, we were moving fairly swiftly:}

      Delete
  3. It's more important for you to be attuned to the weather than for us urbanites (typical situation,'I have to hang my coat to dry as I was caught in a sharp shower whilst waiting for the bus.' Your equivalent,'I went for a stroll up the fell and when the fog came down I had be brought down by the Mountain Rescue.')

    But maybe we'll make a runner of you yet, Hobbit! ;-)

    Great pics, as ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As always Hazel, you've summed it up perfectly, thank you. Urbanite - my hair's gone frizzy 'cos it was damp,where are the straighteners?
      Our equivalent: got blown off my feet and had to crawl along the ground
      (OK, not recently but that did happen to me once at the top of Grisedale Pike with 50mph gusts and it was a tad 'interesting' because I didn't want to get blown off the edge and down the adjacent crags)

      When are you coming up here to find out what real running is about, none of this tarmac and turf nonsense :} :} :}

      Delete
  4. Snow us pretty on the mountain tops but needs to stay there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed,i don't mind walking through snow but I hate it on the roads

      Delete
  5. Brrrr, it's certainly cold enough for snow. Daniel went to Manchester Airport yesterday to see his girlfriend off on her flight home for Christmas and rang me on the train coming home. He said it was snowing quite heavily as he crossed the Pennines. Just so long as we keep it away from here. I wouldn't mind a white Christmas but I'm not fond of snow if I have to go out in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we're all agreed Jo, snow is great until you have to drive on it :} Hope Daniel got home OK.

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}