Wednesday, 12 November 2014

Au revoir, faceache

One facebook account.  Deactivated.

I do not need to play Candy Crush Saga, nor I do not need to be 'friends' with people I haven't seen for two or three decades.  If we haven't kept in touch for over 20 years then there's probably a damn good reason why, like we weren't such close friends in the first place or our lives are now different and we've just moved on.

I do not need anything I've recently looked at on Amazon or eBay to be flashing away at the side of the screen.  Hey guys, if I didn't buy it earlier there's a damn good reason why and all your linked adverts are going to do is strengthen my resolve not to make a purchase.

But what I really do not need is to be ambushed on a daily basis by posts about the most appalling animal cruelty. This morning it happened when I innocently visited the page of a company I was going to buy dog food from.  It's not that I don't care, I do.  Trouble is, I care too much and have one of those stupid brains where I can't switch off and I cannot forget.  As I automatically speed-read I've taken in the first few lines of these horrible stories before it's too late to click away.  Images are seared onto my retina and it can be weeks or months before I forget them.  And I can't cope with that. 

In future I shall confine my 'social media' to the wonderful blogging community, it's worked well enough for me for the last seven years.

So here's a couple of typical Bag End bloggy pictures from today's short and damp outing to Holme Wood at Loweswater.







And here's a typical picture of how my bathroom looked after Daisy endured a bath. 



But a couple of weeks ago I treated myself to a Dyson steam cleaner, something I'd wanted for ages and purchased with no assistance from Faceache.  I didn't buy it before as I was convinced it could not possibly work as well as I hoped and it would be another waste of money gathering dust until taken to a charity shop.  WRONG.  It is outstanding and my only regret is not getting one five years ago.  And now the bath looks an awful lot better!


17 comments:

  1. Those linked ads get everywhere, it's not just facebook. There is even one on the stats package for my blog. If you are on the internet they will catch up with you, sooner or later. That is why so much of it is 'free'. I agree on the animal cruelty pictures. Something I see rapid scrolling through the Twitter feed can upset me all day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do understand Jessica, and that selling information is the name of the game, but it doesn't mean I have to like it. :(

      Delete
  2. I don't understand FB. I set up an account so that I could apply for a freebie on a gardening site.

    I have every privacy setting to maximum, and have entered the minimum of personal info. I don't intend to use it to 'keep in touch' - as you say, if I haven't seen you for 20 years, then I probably don't want to. I've 'unticked' all the boxes that I can on what I want to see on my homepage, and made that private too.

    Given the above I don't see any sort of intrusive posts/ads - if you want to be on FB, you can do what I've done. But that probably takes the point away from it as a social interaction tool.

    What I'm saying, is that I think you can get of the intrusions and keep the benefits (if you think that there are any).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hazel, I did the same as you, privacy to maximum, unticked lots of boxes, but guess you're better at fathoming out this stuff than me, because it didn't work.

      Delete
  3. PS does Daisy prefer to stand on a towel in the bath so her feet don't slip?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, because towels slip just as much. I actually use the non-slip shower mats in the bottom of the bath for her, but I'd moved them before I thought to take the photo. That towel is the one which got really wet as I dried her off a bit before letting her out of the bath.

      Delete
  4. I don't do facebook, because of all the garbage that seems to come up, although hubby does, mainly to keep in touch with family in UK. My blog is enough for me and although I've been a bit slack this week, due to odd things happening, one being a touchy computer, but I think it is OK now. My daughter swears by her steam cleaner and I did have one, but it started leaking so went to the tip, so must think of investing in a new one. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope things are OK now Susan. I would think a steam cleaner would be the perfect tool to ensure there are no traces of the previous owners in your new home?

      Delete
  5. I never got into Facebook or Twitter or any social media. 90% is just blather. No, I stick to the blogging community for cyber fun. Here's a trick: go back into your browser history and delete any cached sites that they can use to target you for ads. When I was looking into selling Mom's car, other sites w/ads were not targetting me with car sales, service, etc. I deleted all my cached stuff from my original searches and now no more targetted ads. You can, sometimes, opt out of targetted ads in things like Bing, Google, etc.

    Glad you are enjoying your steam cleaner. I'm still loving the floor Shark I got/posted about a year or two ago. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kris, my steam cleaner is YOUR fault, I was very inspired by your tale of the 'floor Shark' but it's taken me this long to do something about it:) Wish I'd done it sooner - sigh

      Delete
  6. I've never set up a Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or other social media account, I enjoy blogging and it's enough for me. I'm exactly the same as you worrying about things I've read or seen about animal cruelty. Even a headline is enough to keep me awake at night and it plays on my mind for weeks. I just don't have a strong enough stomach to hear about things like this where animals or children are concerned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, I'm sorry you also get upset by the 'ambushes'. The last couple of days I have used a lot of Bach's Rescue Remedy and some homoeopathic remedies which have helped. Perhaps they might work for you?

      Delete
  7. Must admit I hated Facebook to start with until I worked out how I wanted to use it. My friends are either ex work colleagues after retiring we keep track of one another this way or bloggpals as we use Facebook to ass extra photos or short pieces that don;y warrant a blogpost. I also like to follow the pages of the places I like to visit such as RSPG, YWT and NT sites and an Allotment group. I use the option to remove any ads from appearing on my Timeline that I don't want to see,

    I don't post about what I am having for tea or of I have an itch on my nose and am careful that what I post can be read by anyone without causing me problems privacy wise etc. You have to assume that whatever you post is in the public domain. To be honest I opted out when I first joined and them blog followers requested the option to follow via Facebook so I tried again and now have found some aspects useful but it does have annoying aspects too. I guess it is just a case of it suits some people and not others and could be made a loy more user friendly.

    Steam cleaners, however, surely no-one can say they are not useful - also brilliant for removing old wallpaper,

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know what you mean about 'accidentally reading' a snippet of a sad, sad story on Facebook and then having on your mind for days/weeks/months afterwards. I need to be on to keep in touch with lots of family members, but I do try to limit what else I read.

    I've been toying with the idea of a steam cleaner for a while, with tiled floors and four dogs and a cat to clean up after I am seriously tempted....... my bath would thank me too ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, I bought a Karcher SC1020. Took a little trial and error at the beginning, and is not without effort but using the smallest brush head my oven and hob haven't been this clean since they were new:)

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}