Wednesday, 22 October 2014

It's not a quilt until it's quilted

There has finally been some sewing machine action at Bag End, halle-bloomin'-luliah, about time too!   This is A Very Good Thing - it means that I might be finally coming out of the foggy miasma that I've been inhabiting for the last year or so. So, in no particular order:

Seven years ago I started a log cabin quilt using gorgeous strips donated by a dear, dear friend in Missouri.  Months passed and by March 2009 I had a quilt top, but it was February 2010 before I managed to quilt it.



Along the way some leftover pieces became another top (which remains unquilted):



But I was STILL left with a basket of blue bits.  As I'm incapable of throwing away any fabric that has the potential to be sewn to another piece of fabric, the basket languished - along with 35 others but Things Are Going To Change Around Here.



There's been a huge amount of 'hardening of the heart' and lots of unfinished projects have been packed up neatly and sent off to a charity shop.  The Ikea shelf unit got the heave-ho and was replaced by a dresser top that had been stuffed in the basement 'cos it didn't fit in the house.  I've got to stop using the sewing table as a dumping ground and making it unavilable for working on, that's going fairly well, and moving the bookcase made room for batting-clad insulation a.k.a. "A Design Wall", gosh, doesn't that sound grand.



After some 'creative' scrappy piecing, the blue basket (circled above) is all used up.  None of my piecing is going to win any prizes right now, it's very simple stuff, but I'm enjoying the process. 




The piecing I started less than a month ago is finished (a record in itself) and I now have a gorgeous four-patch top on the quilting pile.



I found a Moda jelly roll in colours completely unlike anything I normally use - think it was a freebie with a magazine subscription.  I've sewn them up quickly in the 'Random' pattern and it will make a lovely soft lap quilt.



There is more - but that will do for tonight :}








11 comments:

  1. Impressed! :-)

    Chuck us some of your quilting mojo, will you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, well done and now you're making me feel like I've done nothing since we got home. I must admit to pulling out my WIP's tub and started the next quilt for my book (ha-ha), if I ever get it done. I've also been sewing down binding on something I quilted earlier this year. I've been trying to buy a flannel sheet for my 'design wall' after talking with you, but not having any luck, so might buy some thin batting. I do need it as I'll have to move back to the floor with this lot of blocks I'm doing. The last quilt is really "pretty" and would be great to cuddle under during winter, of course with Daisy. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Er, 'scuse me, you've just spent over a month the other side of the world? I think you're allowed to have some time off when you return.

      Thin batting works just as well as flannel sheet, but will be a bit more see-through.

      Delete
  3. Uh, they're pricey, but I just ordered a portable design wall for use in my current studio. I sure do miss that big permanent design wall at the old place. It's called Cheryl Ann's Design Wall. I've used them before and they work pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew it. My first comment part disappeared. I'm impressed with all that sewing at your house. Wanna come over and help me now? The fall colors outside are wonderful and the sun is shining!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got both your comments FFG, thank you so much. Would love to come and sew at your new home ......

      Delete
  5. Do you ever use any quilts as wall hangings as they are very decorative

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Sue. I used to hang a lot of quilts but this house is geared more towards huge windows than useful wall so it doesn't happen so much here.

      Delete
  6. Love seeing your quilting as much as your gardening. Can't say I think much to these dark afternoons although it has hardly got light at all today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill :}
      Very dark here also, lights on almost all day {glum}.

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}