Saturday, 6 September 2014

Can I call our new vehicle Herbie?

Management and I have bought a new vehicle.  It is a project which has totally consumed the last month or so and involved us spending HOURS online searching through Autotrader, eBay, Gumtree, Preloved and goodness knows where else, and even more HOURS driving around looking at elderly second-hand motors, in varying stages of disrepair (that's the vehicles which were in a state of disrepair, not us ... mostly).  Not surprisingly, motor traders can be very selective about which bits they photograph and put online.




(We did not buy either of these!)


Last week we drove down to Windermere to see the latest contender and pretty much decided on the way that unless it was an absolute heap of junk beyond redemption we were buying it!  Both thoroughly fed up with all the research and wasted journeys we just wanted to complete our purchase and move on.  Thankfully we hit pay-dirt, did a deal and will collect the newest member of our family tomorrow.

I want to call him/her 'Herbie" ... Management is not so keen.  Anyone who remembers those lovely Disney films from the late 60's and 70's will recall that Herbie was a little car with a big heart who looked after his drivers.  I'm quite sure that our new vehicle will be all those things - Management tells me it's not a VW and the name's "been done to death".  He then tells me "it's your motor, call it what you like". 

Excitement mounting - only one more sleep!


8 comments:

  1. Ooh, how exciting. Once you have it a name will pop into your head automatically and that will be it. Our cars have always had names, albeit strange ones at times. I still miss my little Nellie and may get another small one when I get home so that I'm getting out more often. Can't wait to see what it is you've purchased, as I can see you are keeping us guessing. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're quite right Susan, my car is called Hattie and that name just 'arrived'. Which is sort of how I got to 'Herbie" . . .

      Delete
  2. Ooohh, can't wait to see it. Is it the type you told me about a little while ago, or have I got to just wait and see too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Sue, it is ~exactly~ what I told you about {chuckle}. Collecting him about 5.00 so by the time we get home and have supper it will be too late to do a blog post this evening. You'll all have to wait until tomorrow :)

      Hope you're starting to feel a bit better.

      Delete
  3. I am hoping the photos are now of your new family member

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, I do hope not! We might be buying a very old vehicle but these pictures are of a couple of "reject" wrecks.

      Delete
  4. Oh, you sound so excited about the new vehicle. Hope you get many, many years of good use from it.

    It must be that time of year. We're looking for a new vehicle too. We sold our honking big truck along with the RV to my stepdaughter and her husband, so we're down to one car. Bummer indeed. We keep our vehicles for a long time, so we try to make sure to get a good one and they are not cheap, let me tell you. Hurts me to see the sticker prices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with your vehicle search, it should be such a simple thing but it is anything but!

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}