Thursday, 24 July 2014

The summer silliness continues with a little swim

When I took Daisy to Crummock on Tuesday and had a little paddle with her the thought of a cool swim in the lake was very tempting.  But I wasn't dressed for it and whilst I recognise there are [rare] occasions I can be a complete idiot, as a very weak and feeble swimmer I wasn't going for a dip whilst alone.

But tonight Management finished work at a reasonable time, we had supper early and then took Daisy to Crummock for a walk in the woods.  The sun was sinking and the car park was completely full but we had the small beach at the boathouse to ourselves.  I wanted to see how far into the water Daisy could be bribed . . . the answer was "up to her chest" and absolutely no more, regardless of how many of her favourite biscuit were offered.









It then remained to see whether I was up for it - and here's feeble - as I walked out to waist depth there was a moment of panic, probably at the unfamiliarity of it all.  But I did it, it felt good though, not at all cold, and I'm glad I didn't bottle out.   The jury is out as to whether my still damaged shoulder can actually cope with swimming.  If I want to do this more often then I really need to take a step back and go and have a few proper swimming lessons.



Daisy could not be persuaded to join me, in fact she got very worried about my being so far away.



Time to go home:



As a kid I was more than a little scared of water and 'lessons' with the school when I was about 6 or 7 consisted of being ordered to "just get in and get on with it". The only concession to my fear being that I was permitted to stay at the edge of the pool as a line of wildly screaming children thrashed and splashed from one end to the other.  The wild screaming was terror in my case and out-of-control pleasure from the rest of the class, school-days were not the happiest time of my life.  Nearly five decades later I can stay afloat but I don't have the technique to do it well or with any enjoyment.  Perhaps wild swimming will change that?







(published 7th February 2015)


4 comments:

  1. That looks absolutely wonderful Jayne ,,,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was Jill, just a shame I haven't been back since!

      Delete
  2. My school swimming lessons were the same but a bit more cruel - forced to jump in from the side, forced to sit under the water to name but to methods of torture. Consequence - never learned to swim. Didn't Daisy do well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good grief, I thought my experience was horrible but yours sounds dreadful.

      I did some investigating after the swim and found a lovely small hotel nearby which has a brand new spa. The staff give private lessons to anyone, it's not just for residents, and I really did intend to go along. But everything else got in the way and it never happened although I still have their card pinned up. Perhaps there might be something similar near you?

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}