Wednesday, 2 July 2014

Pony poo

The death of our friend Bert in January meant that we lost not only a cheerful, albeit slightly lunatic, visitor two or three times a week, but a wonderful supply of stable muck.  I've tried to maintain the friendship with his wife since then but it's just not there.  Sorting out an alternative has taken a while but LP has come up trumps again and we now have an even better supply just waiting to be collected.

We're nearly four weeks into a period of no rain although what will undoubtedly pass for the entire summer is due to end tomorrow with some much needed precipitation forecast for the evening.  However, yesterday LP went into compost frenzy, despite it being the hottest day of the year so far. Four trailer loads, each estimated at a little over a ton - he said he was thoroughly enjoying himself, so who am I to rain on his parade?  Yes, I know there's a new wall here and a big patch of land that hasn't yet featured on the blog, but I'll get caught up eventually (hollow laugh).



What will be a planting area was covered in many inches of muck which will now be left for a few weeks/months.  This is all "made up' ground and it's going to settle a lot. Might as well have the worms make a start on improving the soil in the meantime :}





The rest of the day focussed on filling up one of the big compost bins.



He arrived this morning determined to keep going but I had other plans.  Whilst I love huge compost bins filled with half-rotted pony poo, a "dog safe" garden is much more important.  I don't think I was very popular when I insisted on the "anti-Daisy" windbreak netting being fixed in place before any more muck was collected. Madam has already started to leap off the wall onto the drive so restricting her ability to jump onto the road/pavement if something catches her eye had become a priority. 

I took the opportunity to empty out the winter tubs (will re-use the ivy near the Big Pond) and tip all the bulbs (Narcissus February Gold) into a previously unplanted area.  Topped off with pony poo they've got as good a chance as anything else.  Beechgrove Garden experimented last year with bulbs planted the right way up, and bulbs planted upside down.  Miraculous though it may be, it seems that bulbs can right themselves in the ground.



Let's not dwell on the ever-present mountain of empty pots waiting to be cleaned up . . .



Re-bar mesh and black netting temporarily in place, the forecast is for rain at the weekend so planned welding might not happen.  We're now "Daisy proof" and I don't have to worry about her jumping off the wall to greet favoured visitors.



After lunch LP popped into town to borrow the jackhammer from a friend, so he took the trailer and came back with another ton of glorious 'black gold';  one bin is now completely full. The jackhammer made short work of concrete which had been used to set in the gate posts, and reduced the pile of wall rubble on the drive to manageable sized bits.  Hopefully we'll get them all to the council tip tomorrow ...







19 comments:

  1. That is the second time in two comments that I have pressed the wrong bluddy button (presumably) and my words of wisdom have disappeared into the wide blue yonder. :mad:

    I *said* LP working miracles again! Hope his life is on track and happy. Have you pinched a bit of drive with the new wall, or just replaced like with like? Is this the old 'conifer bed' which I recall you inherited and disliked?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hazel, a couple of years back Google went through a phase of 'losing' comments so I got in the habit of copying anything I wrote into Clipboard before I pressed 'publish'.

      Yes, LP continues to be a miracle worker :} You're absolutely right and this is on the footprint of the old and much disliked conifer bed. Driveway is exactly the same (apart from the beaten up tarmac).

      Delete
  2. Thank goodness for the (strength) of men. All this hard work will reap it's rewarda in the future. Well done both of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen to that Dani. This chap has an unbelievable capacity for hard work.

      Delete
  3. Making lots of progress which is great to see :) Sounds like LP runs on duracell batteries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny, thanks for coming to visit :} LP runs on the strongest tea you have ever seen. I buy M&S extra strong stuff for him, it's not to my taste but it seems to keep him happy!

      Delete
  4. Daisy's safety versus pony poo - no contest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That will make a superb planting area. Any thoughts yet on what you'll put in it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jessica, thanks for a good question. We're constructing a metal fence to support the weight of more wisteria and the rest of it will be raised beds for veggies and possibly cutting flowers.

      Delete
  6. That new part looks good, a great improvement on conifers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue. It will look a bit different next time you visit :}

      Delete
  7. Ooo that pony poo looks good but I'm glad Daisy is safe! Got to love a bit of black gold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amanda, Daisy was far too keen on leaping off a five foot high wall to greet visitors.
      The 'black gold' is wonderful, already nearly rotted, no smell, and a good number of worms.

      Delete
  8. Wow, all that energy he seems to have, must be great. It will all be looking good in no time at all. I've planted bulbs upside down and they've shooted ok, if a little bit sideways and still flower. Glad Daisy is safe and yes I got the email, thanks. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Afternoon Susan (or is it morning for you?). Thanks for the encouragement about the bulbs, we'll have to see how they look next Spring :}

      Delete
  9. Looking good Jayne. I thought i might have already commented but I must have missed this. I planted a whole pack of bulbs upside down and they came up ok although maybe slightly later than they would have. Luckily I Googled it before I dug the whole lot up again! You did right to get that Daisy proof fence up. It's a big drop even with those ears to aid flight!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill, as always :} Beechgrove followed up the bulb thing and it appears they don't right themselves, just manage to grow anyway! Certainly the little daffs have come up very well this year, almost better than the others, but then, they've not had LP and M's size 10's stomping all over them.

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}