Thursday, 10 July 2014

Plants behaving badly, and a confused frog

This unholy mess is the result of spending over two hours this morning trying to remove all traces of a grass which supposedly is clump forming (it isn't and has been spreading madly trying to takeover a quarter of the pond) and something which, now it is close to flowering, looks suspiciously like a large member of the bullrush family.  Both miscreants were gifts from a neighbour who cheerfully assured me "they're lovely pond plants, and won't get out of hand".  She's either a lying cow or not half as clever at gardening as she would like us all to believe.



On what is probably the hottest day of the year I squelched around the planting shelf in neoprene wellies, only falling over once when I had one of those "boot stuck in mud" moments.  At least the mud was soft to land on and I didn't end up head first in the water :}

The detritus will rot down beautifully and have a new life enriching some other part of the garden.



As for the frog, ah well, no photos but just another episode in the insanity which is my life at Bag End.

Picture the scene:  11.00pm - Daisy in her bed snoring for England (we had a lovely walk at Crummock Water at teatime and she was tired), me propped up in bed reading.  Out of the corner of my eye I noticed something dark on the cream carpet.  I looked.  It didn't move but I knew it hadn't been there earlier.  I looked again.  It was a bloody frog - a medium sized one that was just as confused as me.  What the hell was it doing in the middle of my bedroom carpet, how the heck did it get there and how the HELL was I going to get rid of it?

Get out of bed quietly - any rapid movement is going to have Daisy leaping around the room wanting to help.  Frog is a couple of inches long, with legs twice that, and fast moving, thankfully it is heading towards the window, not in the opposite direction which would have given it a bed and Daisy's sofa to hide under.  Long story short, despite much hopping in it's part and adrenaline on mine (love frogs, HATE the jumping) managed to get little creature into one of those large paper bags that posh clothes shops dispense.  The window was open so I flung both bag and frog outside - it's near enough the small Cottage Garden pond and this morning froggy was nowhere to be seen.

Sometimes we have a little too much wildlife in our wild garden :}

I have now recovered from both events and am spending much of this afternoon testing the effectiveness of a new garden lounger and proving that you really can read a Kindle outside in the sunshine ...









12 comments:

  1. I don't like the jumping either, you never know which way they're going to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely Jessica, intellectually I know they're not going to do me any harm but the unpredictability of those jumps - urghh!

      Delete
  2. Pity about the rampant pond plants and good that it's now sorted. Poor froggy!! One day I'll tell you a funny story about frogs and the workplace. Take care and enjoy the warm weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor froggy my ***** ! What about poor me? If I hadn't got the dratted thing out of the room there's no way I could have slept in there - and I looked around VERY carefully before I went to bed last night!

      Delete
  3. Hobbit on a lounger? The sky is falling!!! The sky is falling!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it's worse than that, much worse ... Hobbit in one of those deliciously comfortable "zero gravity" chairs wearing shorts and getting a tan! The sky has not only fallen, but landed with a monstrous thump:}

      Delete
  4. These things need a good long test don't they? I wonder how the frog arrived in your bedroom - hitched a ride on Daisy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, no idea how our little 'friend' got in. There's a huge clematis outside the bathroom window - maybe it climbed into that and managed to fall into the en-suite? I'll never know ... unfortunately.

      Delete
  5. I'm the same with spiders. I know they won't hurt me (well not the usual ones in this country) but still they scare the living daylights out of me.

    Good to hear you are doing some of the revolutionary relaxing too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Management would agree with you Sue, he hates arachnids as well :}

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Our heatwave goes on and on - the Lake District is definitely the place to be right now! Who needs airport queues and budget flights :}

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}