Wednesday, 9 July 2014

In praise of wasps

Over the years Management and I have been known to disagree over the odd detail . . . but thankfully there are more things we agree on, one of which is the value of wasps.

We recognise their value as pollinators, we're in awe of their nests (there's currently a new one being developed high above the front door) and possibly because we are always calm around them neither of us ever gets stung in late summer.



I was therefore delighted to see this small article in the current issue of The Garden.   Way to go, Ms Bradbury :}

6 comments:

  1. They are fascinating creatures. I have only been stung once when I inadvertently placed my foot over the opening to an underground nest site! Double Ouch They do make picking ripe plums tricky though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you were stung Sue, but if someone put their foot on the roof of your house, then you'd probably fight back ...

      Delete
  2. Mention of a wasps nest on the plot quickly brings out the petrol soaked rags to burn out the nest. It's best to keep quiet about a wasps nest on the plot and treat it with a bit of caution and come the end of September no problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Martyn, I hope the idiots to which you refer enjoy being hungry in a few years time when we've reduced bee and wasp numbers to below what is needed to pollinate enough food for our over-laden planet.

      Delete
  3. Very interesting article. We get European wasps out here these days, so not sure if they are the same as the ones in the article. Look very similar. They are regarded as pests as they aren't native to Oz and they do come around in picnic weather. I love their little homes. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I'll take our 'pests' over some of your indigenous wildlife any day!

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}