Friday, 4 July 2014

Hell (still) hath no fury

We're under attack this week.  Although my last couple of published posts might sound like Sally Sunshine is back and all has returned to normal at Bag End, I've been feeling like *£%&@*.  Still exhausted and in need of a REALLY good, long break but the continued lovely weather and LP's imminent departure for a couple of months meant four solid days of supervising Mighty Mouse as he continues to transform the garden!  More on that another day ...

Although at opposite ends of the country, Management and I have both been gritting our teeth and carrying on despite a tummy bug (which colleagues told him is widespread), the potato crop has been blighted, and whilst our new fruit cage* has protected the strawberry crop from greedy blackbirds I've lost count of how many mice I've trapped [*something else that is on the blog-lag list].

If that were not enough, we're once again visited by furry little sods.  This year, I'm going to deal with them myself; quicker, cheaper and easier than waiting for the mole chap to turn up.  Nothing undermines the roots of my favourite Himalayan Cowslip and gets away with it.







Three traps, delivered, for a fifth of the cost of last year's mole-man visit.  I think I'll get three more ...








10 comments:

  1. It looks a fearsome bit of kit.. I take it Mr Mole does not live to tell the tale?
    Rain coming. Get those feet up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jessica, thanks for commenting.
      The traps are surprisingly robust, much thicker steel than I expected and very easy to set up. Mr/s Mole does not get out alive to sell his/her story to Hello magazine.

      Rain all day. All the water butts are full. Daisy quite disgusted! Snoozing in front of tennis!

      Delete
  2. Too bad they don't make those things in deer size...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Afternoon Kris, good to hear from you.

      "Too bad they don't make those things in deer size..."
      Ah, but they do. They're called guns. Shame your local nimbies won't allow you to use one. Just think of the venison steaks, venison casserole, venison burgers. Yummy :}

      Delete
    2. I ache for some venison! Yesterday a friend and I were standing and talking a deer came around the house, walked within 6 feet of us. Even when I waved arms and threw sticks, it never ran away. Grrrrr

      Delete
  3. Yes as you now know we too are blighted just hoping it doesn't spread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything's early this year Sue, even the problems :{

      Delete
  4. Oooh! A "mouse plague", something we dread here in Oz(lol), but luckily we don't have moles. Heard all about them though and I certainly have trouble with blackbirds, who love berries and "mulch", which they get everywhere. Shame about the spuds. Hope the summer gets better for your veg and you get a drop of rain soon. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan, I don't mind the blackbirds chucking mulch all over the place but I do object to them having a fruit-fest whilst they're at it!

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}