Saturday, 21 June 2014

Solstice

Hello little blog, I've missed you, more than I expected.  The turn of the year, Midsummer, is a good time to take up the reins again.  No wondrous sunrise over Skiddaw this morning but it has been another beautiful day, warm, dry, sunny, very little wind, and I can't help thinking that this is "Summer 2014" and it will soon be over :}



A sabbatical isn't a holiday, it is meant to be a time to do different things and to a small degree I have been successful, but not as much as I would have liked/needed.  I'd reached the point where, after seven endless years of doing 'stuff'*,  I had really, really had enough and was heading for a major sense of humour failure or a small meltdown.   I spent some time fantasising about running away (but who would water the greenhouse or fill the bird feeders?) but that's not my style and anyway, all the renovation projects would still be waiting for me when I came back so what would be the point?

(* a year prepping our Hampshire house to sell and six years of work here)



A gardener not gardening at this time of year is as impossible as flying to the moon but I've been trying to cut back a bit.  To try and reduce the constant pain in my arms and shoulders I have attempted to do much less lifting and carrying in the garden.  That's been limited in its success and at some point I should write about calcific tendonitis, my attempts to treat it avoiding surgery, and the "interesting" experience of taking opiate based painkillers for the first time in my life. 



In the last six weeks we've achieved a lot in the house, and I'll write about that soon.  I have finally realised that I can blog retrospectively about things which have already happened and not tie myself to dating posts exactly to the event, so I plan to do some 'catch up' posts over the next week or so. 



Whilst having a blogging break I found, unexpectedly, that I stopped looking at other blogs too, so if I normally pop in to see you and have not recently, that's why.  I have intentionally spent much less time on the computer but all that means is the email backlog has grown even if I have managed to nail some of the other outstanding tasks.

Interestingly, by taking Bag End 'offline' whilst I fiddled around with the (nearly) monthly 'Bag End in detail' posts to make them less cumbersome, I heard from a few people that they couldn't see the blog.  Nothing strange in that, except that I had no idea some of these folk came to keep an eye on what we were doing.  But I should not be surprised - most of the visitors who look at my posts go away without leaving a comment.  Surprised at my cousin though .....

Nothing surprising about our four-legged friend.  Little Miss Perfect continues to be just that - adorable, funny, good natured, an absolute delight to live with.  Just like me really (but when I said that to Management he pulled a very weird face ...)

23 comments:

  1. Great to see you back, I've missed the news from Bag End. Tendonitis does not sound nice, so I'm glad you've been taking it a bit easier. Love that orchid..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning Jessica, thanks for stopping by and saying hello. I must come and see how things are doing Chez Duck, I've missed you too :}

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you sweetie, didn't mean to stay away so long but you know how things go ...

      Delete
  3. Glad to hear news of you and Daisy. Just don't feel that you have to blog about absolutely everything. I also gave some 'timeless' blogs that I write when I feel like it to post when I don't want to write something new. I've also started a Wordless Wednesday where I just post photos as often they sat as much as text - if not more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue, it always amazes me just how efficient you and Martyn are with your blogs!

      Delete
  4. Ah, there you are, my dear. Glad to see you at the keyboard again. Lovely catch-up posts to boot! It's good to get 'away', but it's also good to get back, no? Else how could we not know what impossible things you've managed to accomplish of late? *hug*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kris, just "three impossible things before breakfast" huh?? I thought it was six!

      You are right, it is good to be back although I'm still swamped by house/garden/photos/everything and I must come and check out what you have been up to.

      Delete
  5. We've missed you too, Hobbit! Don't worry about blogging retrospectively, I do it all the time - time moves so darn *quickly*. I should cultivate the discipline of updated every visit to the Hill, even if it is only to record 'What I Did Today'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning Hazel, missed you too kiddo. Its ages since we wrote/spoke. Me thinks there ought to be a little Skype action at some point in the future ....??

      Delete
  6. She's baaaaaack!! Glad to know you're back. No cares as to what form your blog takes. After all, it is YOUR blog. Welcome back. I've missed you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just like Arnie, I did say "I'd be back", just don't quite seem to have got back in a routine yet. Missed you too, must go and see what birding you have been up to.

      Delete
  7. Just had a great catchup with your blog. Gee I've missed the lovely photos and your chatty posts. I just knew the garden would be looking good and Daisy still seems so content. May I put you back on my side bar? I just post when I'm able to and sometimes photos are from other years even, if they tie in with what I am talking about. I'll pop you another email within the next few days. Take care, smell the roses and take life as it comes. Coming from a stess head that sounds weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan, hope you got the email yesterday, sorry to take an age to reply.

      Sidebar? Do what you like m'dear :}

      Delete
  8. Ey up Missis!
    I've been having a sabbatical of my own and it seems like we've coincided in coming back to Blogland!
    Don't worry about keeping up to date - some of my posts are about stuff we did about four years ago!!! The garden is looking wonderful - and so very different from when we last saw it - feels like you've made an awful lot more progress than we have! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Eee, by gum lass" as a certain small but perfectly formed blogger might say! I need a big slap for not keeping in touch, and I know I have an invite to Gnome Towers which I intend to take you up on later in the year when the greenhouse can be left for a day or three.

      Delete
  9. Welcome back to blogland. We all need a break now and then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie, oh boy do I need a break. Could really do with about six months off ... but that's not going to happen. Daisy says hi to Lottie, or she would if she was not still curled up in her sleeping pod refusing to surface for at least another hour or so.

      Delete
  10. Gnome Towers is awaiting your inspection Missis!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have followed you for many years and have tried to publish a reply several times but for some reason it has never shown. I love following what you do in the garden and how Lottie has blossomed with your care. I too lots contact for a little while and could not see your blog. Glad your back.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Catherine, great to hear from you and don't worry about your comments disappearing into the ether. Regularly happens to me on other blogs I follow!

    Chortled a great deal when you called Daisy "Lottie" .... I bet you've been visiting Debbie at Serendipity Patch! (what a lovely, lovely blog that is .....)

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}