Sunday, 25 May 2014

After demolition comes excavation

We trust Geoff to excavate perfect footings, fortunately, so does our builder.

At the time it was hard to imagine this mess could ever become garden.  And now, looking back, it's hard to remember just what it was like before we started messing about :)





As work progressed we noticed a faint, sulphur-like smell.  Geoff and LP, being local, were not surprised to find huge chunks of what was once blast furnace slag from the Workington steelworks which used to be such an important part of the local economy.  It was common practice for builders to use it as hardcore. 
















(finally published on 1st April 2015 . . . !)

No comments:

Post a Comment

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}