Wednesday, 16 April 2014

THE LAST OF THE LEYLANDII

(or "This year's big project, part 1")

An enthusiastic helper, a chainsaw and some over-grown conifers - perfect combination.  This week saw the last of the leylandii, almost six years to the day since we started ridding Bag End of these Triffids.  Looking back to 2008 it is sometimes hard to remember just how they dominated the garden; at times like this I am so glad I've persevered with the blog and have a record of just how much has changed.

Anyone who has visited Bag End knows we have a huge (and ugly) tarmac driveway, it is a regular source of amusement that the tarmac area is roughly the same size as the back garden in a previous house.  Many years ago someone had huge beds either side of the drive 'landscaped' (I use the word advisedly ...) and filled with a mixture of conifers and yellow-leafed shrubs which combined to form the most disgusting mess.  It has taken us a long time to decide what to do here and the final plan is fairly radical.

When we came to Bag End it was a matter of urgency to get fencing in place to make the garden Ollie-safe and the location of the fences was dictated by the existing Triffids. After six years it would have been easy to accept that the fence line stayed where it was but we've decided to have complete overhaul.  The low rubble wall is coming down and being replaced by a very thick retaining wall and the ground level will be built up to the same height as the Potager.  A new fence is going right next to the drive instead of four metres back from it and hey presto, I get more garden space for additional raised beds!

I helped for the first couple of hours and then nipped to Keswick for a dental check-up.  When I returned there was light, space, a huge pile of shreddings and a surprisingly big pile of logs!  The other side (next to our huge compost bins) also had a little attention although we still don't know what to do with this bit of ground.





























10 comments:

  1. This post could also have been titled "What a Difference a Day Makes".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly could Sue, but I think I've already used that one a couple of times!

      Delete
  2. As I've not seen your garden in person, I'm sure it will be looking better in no time with the leylandi gone. I know from your photos that you have the most amazing views and am sure you'll make the most of them. Take care and don't overdo it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, if you look back to the earliest posts on the blog you'll see how awful the huge trees were. The location/views were the main reason we bought this house and yes, I am now taking the time to sit and enjoy them! Happy Easter :}

      Delete
  3. It's just me - but I think I'd sooner have the gardens more private behind an evergreen swath along the driveway. But the way you are gaining raised beds left and right, you'll be needing that open space for your produce stand! What next? Chicken coop and lovely eggs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kris, I would very much like the privacy afforded by an evergreen hedge but we inherited Leylandii that were over 40 feet tall, completely out of control, and way past being brought back into shape. Now we've cut down all the evergreens we're planting new ones :}

      Delete
  4. It looks much better. Although I thought you'd moved to Arizona for a minute there, looking at pic no. 7...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica, having removed a few of your own Triffids you know just how much light it lets in. Easter Egg Award to you for spotting giant cactus!

      Delete
  5. At first I thought LP was cloud pruning.Can't wait to see what you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cloud pruning! Snorts with rude laughter Sue, that is the best giggle I shall get all day (and that's after having taken Daisy for an early walk around the block and seeing one of my neighbours in their garden in jammies - they didn't see me and I'm not going to admit to spotting them).

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}