Friday, 11 April 2014

Determined

The God (Goddess?) of Gardening was smiling on us when LP decided that tackling our garden was his task for the next (insert undefined number) years.  He returned first thing Friday morning determined to complete the third raised bed.  This bed will be home to my second attempt to grow asparagus*, gorgeous new crowns from Ken Muir are waiting to be planted and I've promised LP lunch of freshed cooked asparagus in about three years time ....

Saws, mattocks and crowbars were employed but the roots didn't stand a chance against this sort of determination :}







(don't blame me for that one, he likes being Mighty Mouse ...)









Madam observed from a sunny (and dusty) spot, and I emptied nearly three compost bins :}






*  the first attempt was a bed in the Potager; despite asparagus being rumoured to be incredibly hardy a bitter winter killed off five of the ten crowns in their first year.  Hopefully this area will suit them better.


6 comments:

  1. Asparagus is something I've never really considered growing. I think the three year wait to harvest has put me off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's a factor which puts many people off Jo, and for some reason there is also an idea it's difficult. It isn't - I had a problem because I was trying it in a particularly cold and exposed place.

      A three-year wait probably sounds ludicrous to the 'instant gratification I want it now" society which has grown up around us but I garden for the long-haul, and time really does go so horribly fast these days that it won't be long before we're greedily devouring our own crop!

      Delete
  2. I never waited 3 yrs. I took a few stalks every year for samples. But, yes, when it starts coming up faster than you can sample, cut them until the stalks come up like pencils. Then the crowns need to fern out and suck in sun to regenerate the roots. You've seen my winters. I've never lost a crown to cold, snow, ice, frigid temps, etc. I buried the crowns under 12" of loam and top it off every year. They are well insulated. Good luck with yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kris, very good point about protecting the crowns over winter. I did not do that before but will definitely make a point of mulching them in future.

      Delete
  3. In the long term plan I will have a permanently planted raised bed and will grow asparagus. That has to be the ultimate luxury in home produced veg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica, can recommend (so far) the plants from Ken Muir. Both the asparagus and strawberries they sent are superb.

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}