Monday, 28 April 2014

Asparagus

Gardeners need to have patience and be able to plan for the long-term and nowhere is that more true than with asparagus.  Despite all the work now, I won't be eating anything from this bed for a while.





Obviously, I had help.











Note to self:  Ken Muir Ltd

Asparagus 'Gijnlim' This variety was raised in the Netherlands and is a male dominant F1 hybrid, producing heavy crops of succulent green spears just one year after planting. The advantage of F1 hybrids is that they require fewer plants than seed raised asparagus to get a worthwhile crop. Very good flavour.  RHS Award of Garden Merit.

Asparagus 'Pacific Purple'  Bred in New Zealand, this variety produces heavy yields of purple spears that are sweeter, more tender and even richer in antioxidants than green asparagus. They have a very low fibre content meaning that almost the entire spear is free of the tough fibre normally found on the bottom of green varieties. This means that they are ideal eaten raw and added to fresh salads. They are also delicious when cooked. 




(finally published on 1st April 2015 . . . !) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}