Monday, 17 March 2014

Strawberry sort-out

The strawberry cage is 90% finished and the beds are full of soil and topped up with peat.  If that makes me an environmental despoiler then so be it - our soil is completely neutral and the plants need it slightly acid.



I've ordered some new varieties which will (hopefully) arrive next month and extend our fruiting season, and the Marshmellow plants which overwintered in the cold-frame have all received a brisk 'short back and sides' and a seaweed feed.  They can relax in their pots until I'm ready to move them into the raised beds.







As it was bitterly cold and miserable in the garden Daisy had two choices - stay in the house on her own or curl up on a warm piece of VetBed in the greenhouse and chat to me whilst I worked.

It's such a tough life being the Bag End Hound In Residence ...



Last year we indulged in over 10kg of delicious fruit from the Potager.  Thanks are due to my lovely friend, Kath, who sent me the original 12 runners from which all these plants have come.

We indulged in strawberries with cream, in tarts, with brioche French Toast, in pancakes, numerous fruit smoothies and some delicious jam which never did set ....  The smell of the fruit as you walked into the Potager was magical and I'm hoping to recreate that here.

6 comments:

  1. Good luck with your strawberry raised beds. Ours are in their third year. Last year we had a good crop but the beds need a sort out any day now. It`s a wonder the plants didn`t all drown this winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning DW, thanks for your comment. You're right about beds needing a regular sort out - strawberries do misbehave if you don't keep a close eye on them :}

      Delete
  2. My parents have a large strawberry bed which I always loved - like yours they came from the runners of just a few plants. We have a small patch now which has to have a layer of chicken protection as they love the green strawberries and would leave none to ripen for us if left to their own devices! I hope you get a good crop this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed Jenny, we had over 16kg last year. Although there are no chickens we still have to protect the fruit from feathered fiends.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Don't laugh Sue, but I am looking forward to going into the cage (which is in a sheltered area) and smelling the fruit ... nothing can replicate the scent of a strawberry patch!

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}