Friday, 14 March 2014

Pottering About

It's been a funny sort of week and whilst I have no intention of turning the blog into a "poor little me" recitation of medical wails and woes the perennial shoulder problem has been getting the better of me recently.  It's usually rain stops play at Bag End but the last ten days it's been more pain stops play.  But moving swiftly on ....

Spring is sprung, we had a few days of much welcome sunshine and all of a sudden everything feels possible again. When Daisy and I go out for her bed-time potty stop we disturb frogs and there is now fresh spawn in every pond.  I'm feeling quite maternal and protective of it although there is sod all I can do:}

Over the course of a few short sessions I finished cutting our big willow fedge and despite throwing all the small, straggly bits away I have a good supply of fresh rods for my latest set of daft ideas.  The bed in front of the fedge is in need of some weeding. 




The Coppice has had its post-winter tidy up.  I've said over and over again (but am not sure that anyone within hearing actually believed me) that my aim is to make this garden as low maintenance as possible.  It took less than half a day to weed, rake, tidy and bring the entire area to a point where it needs no more than an occasional tweak here and there for the rest of the year. 

This time included taking down the low edging I made last Spring.  The original idea was to stop Daisy traipsing all over the beds and it has failed spectacularly.  If one of our neighbours walks along the footpath and Daisy sees them there is no way I can stop her sprinting to the fence to greet them.  So I've given up.  All the sticks were doing were getting in MY way and I'm much happier with how the Coppice looks now it has all gone.  The wood hasn't been wasted as we're building an ever-increasing "dead hedge' pile against the back wall which will be home to all sorts of small beasties.




10 comments:

  1. Hope that shoulder will get better and the garden is certainly looking lovely, though how often will you have to mow the lawn? Looking forward to seeing what is flowering over the next few months. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the good wishes Susan. I only cut the grass once a week in summer and have no desire for a "bowling green" perfect lawn. I love grass cutting - it's when I walk around slowly and get to look closely at what's happening in the borders (and usually notice a dozen things I want to attend to!)

      Delete
  2. What are the white plants in the final shot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are Helleborus, various unnamed hybrids.

      Delete
  3. And I have failed spectacularly on the low maintenance front. I spread bark chippings everywhere but there are just too many perennial weeds. Eventually I will get them all dug out. It must get easier each time round... right?
    Look after that shoulder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 'low maintenance' takes time Jessica, and I still regularly have to dig up perennial nasties but they do get less each year.

      My cunning (non-organic) plan for this year is wallpaper paste with glyphosate and red food colour mixed in. The idea is that I will paint it directly onto offenders, see exactly where I've daubed it and minimise the effect on surrounding soil and plants .... I said it was a plan, not that it would work, "p-l-a-n" has a habit of being a four-letter word around here!

      Delete
  4. Oh, your garden is looking lovely!! I'll bring the biscuits to go with a cuppa ---- coffee, that is. Oh, don't I wish I could do that about late May.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, don't I just wish you could do that :} Late May is a lovely time to be here.

      Delete
  5. I must be such a lovely place to sit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very sheltered from the wind Sue, so yes, a great place to sit.

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}