Sunday, 2 February 2014

Windswept Allonby

I hadn't realised just how windy it had been last night and once again the coast road was closed at Dubmill Point. Daisy and I were restricted to a short walk at Allonby because the tide was racing in and there wasn't a lot of beach available.  It was still a very pleasant little outing, and as it was my first walk after a week of cold/flu the short duration and lack of steep bits was just right.  Not surprisingly Daisy was delighted to be out and she even had a couple of mad forays onto the sand which is most unusual.













Local people are starting to wonder if, in a few years time, we will even have a coast road if erosion continues at this rate - the area isn't at the top of the list for handing out large sums of money for major civil engineering repairs.  Taken from approximately a mile away on the maximum zoom of a compact camera these waves are about 50 or 60 foot high.







8 comments:

  1. It certainly looks rough weather and can't believe the size of those waves. Daisy is certainly a lot braver around water these days, isn't she? Glad you are over the worst of your cold. Take care and stay warm and well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan, she's braver but not actually getting close enough to get wet. No complaints from me, I don't particularly want her leaping in and out of rivers and waves like Ollie used to.

      Delete
  2. Incredible waves. Our coastline is certainly taking a battering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jessica, hope you were safe last night, dreadful storm and another one on the way.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful photos, lovely to see Daisy chasing about on the beach but the overall state of the country at the moment is frightening. Will share some pics I took the other day of the River Derwent not too far from here. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning Jill. I thought I understood flooding after seeing Cockermouth in 2009 but what is happening now is unprecedented. Will go and look at your pictures now :}

      Delete
  4. The weather finally caught up with us with gales bringing a lump of mortar from next doors roof down onto our car bonnet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Sue, I am so sorry. But cars can be fixed, as long as you and Martyn are OK :}

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}